AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your favorite or best for the buck muti tool. I have several misc cheap ones and a older Leatherman but most of em I wouldn't trust in a long term SHTF situation.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
The black military Gerber with the carbide inserts for the wire cutting area, the carbide can be turned three times to give a new cutting edge. With carbide the cutters actually cut wire very easily, the standard metal ones that are part of the tool itself damage pretty easily and the surfaces then stick together making it difficult to open the tool. I have had a pair for two years and use them constantly and carry them everyday, and they are still using the first cutting edge, everything else on them is in good shape as well. I would recommend this model highly....

·
Registered
850 Posts
What Omega said.I still have my original issue Gerber 600,which works well but the newer black ones have better features as with the cutting bits.
The only thing I wish they did was make them a bit like the older one where you could disassemble them for cleaning or a blade replacement.

·
Registered
21,749 Posts
leeloo_multipass.jpg
dis works real good ah hear

Reactions: Nu2AKSKS

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
Leatherman Wave, worth every penny.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a Gerber and it's lasted longer than the two Leathermans I've used.

However, IMHO, the best would be an AK version of a Multitasker. I've discussed the idea with the owner and he doesn't think there's a market for a $150-180 multi-tool.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I am a firm supporter of Leatherman tools for the last 30 years. Have Supertools in each car and have Leatherman Waves for my backpacking and bicycle camping gear (in addition to the standard bicycle tools all should carry for cyclotouring). That being said, my everyday carry is a Victorinox Workman from the late 1980s.

·
Super Moderator
25,766 Posts
I was issues a Gerber, and its all use. Everyone should have at least one quality multi-tool IMO.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a few Gerber Suspensions and one Multi-Plier. Been carrying mostly the Suspension on my belt or vest in the National Guard for several years.

Broke one Suspension while pulling a pin on a trailer during a drill weekend. Sent it to Gerber and within a month they sent a replacement free of charge (except for shipping it to them).

I'll keep getting Gerbers. Most of soldiers in my unit have some form of Gerber multitool.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'll also place praise for my Leatherman Wave. Awesome and solid. I've had a Gerber (not sure which model). Didn't like that you had to open it up for the knife. Even the pliers had to be pulled out to use.
The Wave has 2 blades, a saw and a file all available at the flick of a thumb.
I also have a Leatherman Mut. Has a "cool" factor. I keep in a chest rig. Haven't really used it.
I've had a leatherman "core". Didn't like it. Too bulky.

The new Letaherman screwdrivers kinda suck. They are removable bits. Might have been an idea after breakage complaints. I did break 2 of the fixed flathead screwdrivers.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The Leatherman style can opener is the better of the two that are typically seen. I have an older SOG Power Plier that has that same type. It's nice to see the replaceable wire cutter bits, definitely a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
25,766 Posts
I just got one of the Leatherman MUT multi-tools, and I'm impressed with the quality. My stepson bought one to use while he's in the Marines, and he's used and abused his, and he has nothing but good things to say. This thing has just about every tool you might need for weapons maintenance and cleaning, as well as other stuff you might need for camping. there are lots of videos on Youtube, so have a look. Here is mine:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
674 Posts
The crovel. Hands down winner in the shtf tool category. For handy fix it scenarios, the gerber military model is very nice.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I just got one of the Leatherman MUT multi-tools, and I'm impressed with the quality. My stepson bought one to use while he's in the Marines, and he's used and abused his, and he has nothing but good things to say. This thing has just about every tool you might need for weapons maintenance and cleaning, as well as other stuff you might need for camping. there are lots of videos on Youtube, so have a look. Here is mine:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Damn! Mine didn't come with all the inserts. Just looked on Grainger where I got mine. They don't sell them separate either. I wonder if it's a newer add-on. I got mine about 3 years ago.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I always ended up breaking my leatherman tools, I switched to a SOG years ago and have yet to break it. IMO the pliers are actually much more functional on the SOG as well.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I've been using a black marine issue SOG for years without an issue.

·
Super Moderator
25,766 Posts
Bansh88, these came with the tool, and I believe these are newer additions. You should be able to find these on Ebay.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I carried an original configuration Leatherman Wave for about 13 years. It held up well but the pliers were always crap and the tools got hard to dig out after several years, even with occasional trips through the dishwasher and some oil. I retired it for a black Gerber with the replaceable wire cutting inserts and like it much better for everyday tasks. I will miss the little folding scissors though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts