AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here is my situation, I am moving from FL to GA, I currently have 2 tax stamps (SMG and suppressor), and I'm wondering what forms do I have to fill out to satisfy the ATF?

I'm also wondering since these are owned by a trust (FL trust) can I just change the address on the trust without actually having to set up a new trust and pay my stamps all over again?

I know the ATF is very technical and waiting for an answer from them, I might not have enough time. This is an unexpected rushed move, and its happening in 5 weeks..

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No help on this one? hmm Maybe I can call the ATF.. I got the ATF form 5320.20 thats for moving the items interstate or temporarily exporting them.. not sure if its good enough for the move.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I don't have an answer, but I'm in a similar situation. I'm also interested in a little help finding the correct answer, so if you dig it up, please share.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Not sure if you will need to change the engraving but you do need to send in a form 5320.20, in duplicate. Line 5, write "perm address change."

http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f532020.pdf

The NFA branch will send back one of the approved originals for you to keep with your form 1.

Call the NFA branch for any clarification.

Phone: 304 616-4500

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I'm also wondering since these are owned by a trust (FL trust) can I just change the address on the trust without actually having to set up a new trust and pay my stamps all over again?
You don't need to repay the tax. The 5320.20 (line 5) is good enough for the ATF. I'd call to confirm about the engraving. Remember though, the trust will remain in FL but you, the trustee, are the one changing addresses.

Please let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you very much I'll clarify with the ATF as you advised (thanks for the number). I need to get on this ASAP I got 4 weeks now and I know ATF does not move fast.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Called today I was told that form is everything I need, and should take 30 days, not that they are giving out time lines ;0).. I'm sending it overnight to them tomorrow morning.. 1 month my deadline is CLOSE! I will slip in a note about my move date and plead for a speedy return.

thanks again for the advise and the phone number. :grin:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
So the engravings don't change because of the original incorporation/trust address?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have any engravings that pertain to MY build both items were purchased so they were originally made in GA before 1986..

I don't think they will make you change the town and state if they were your builds, as thats where they were built.. think if a manufacturer sells a SBR, then 5 years later they move their facilities to another state, are they going to track down all the NFA items they sold and re engrave them?

As I was told above the trust remains a FL trust, however, I the trustee has moved out of state.. shouldn't be a big deal there.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
j_tudeski said:
So the engravings don't change because of the original incorporation/trust address?
Engravings never change. They just note the original manufacturer of the NFA item.

When I SBR my M92 pistol and my AKS-74U, both will be engraved with my info. If i were to sell either, the new owner doesn't put their info on it. Likewise, if I move, the info on there remains the same, as the place of manufacture hasn't changed. Just the location of ownership.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
all the bad things I have said about the ATF i take back.. LOL I sent this out express to the ATF on 8/15 the received it 8-18. I included a letter stating my problem with time, and I received a approved form returned today 8/25. One week turn around is impressive.. I did plead in my letter though.. LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts