Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watched "Saints and Soldiers"....great flick
:smile: :smile:

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
is that the one with the down brit pilot????if so...i never caught the beggining.....always come in right b4 they get to that woman's house

·
Super Moderator
9,408 Posts
Genre: Action / War / Drama / Adventure (more)

Tagline: There is a time for heroes

Plot Outline: Five American soldiers fighting in Europe during World War II struggle to return to Allied territory after being separated from U.S. forces during the historic Malmedy Massacre. (view trailer)

User Comments: A simple story told with great skill.

·
Registered
551 Posts
except that it plays the new revisionist line of the Germans "accidentally" gunning down the american prisoners at malmedy, other than that it was a good movie.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Dieter122 said:
In Band of Brothers they showed the Americans gunning down the Germans in cold blood, that made my blood boil when I saw that, but its good they didnt portray it as being ok, or discount it.
I think that turned out by the end of the movie to not have been the case, it was a rumor going around easy company about Spiers that helped toughen up his image as a leader.

Also, if you're looking for a good German film, check out "Downfall" came out last year, I have it on DVD, a great foreign film. About the last few weeks of hitler in the Bunker and the Battle for Berlin. MP44/STG44s galore :twisted:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes. A British recon pilot is shot down and the US GIs get him to Allied lines.

:hail: :hail:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Dieter122 said:
I saw Downfall on TV I think...cant remember though?
possibly but I doubt it, seeing it came out on DVD not long ago.

Im pretty sure they showed the Americans gunning down the Germans in cold blood......remember the few Americans gave the Germans some smokes and then a minute later, that was the end for them?
Well you see in the movie and the book that the E company guys all had different versions of the story and you never initially see it happen you only see their versions reenacted out in their minds (that's the seens you're talking about), then later after taking the small town in Ardennes, the Walberg brother talks to Spiers about it, and Spiers tells him, he never gave the men the true side of the story because it was probably better for them to have thought he killed them in cold blood. Watch the whole series again and read the book. :wink:

Ah man, what id do for a REAL STG44.....
yeah it was fun :mrgreen:

I kept the cases of the 10 rounds I bought to fire at $2 a piece! One has a manufacture date of 44 the others were E. German 50's-60's production.

And damn, I have myself on video shooting this thing, but it's on a video camera tape, not digital yet, haven't figured out how to put it to digital. :mad:

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's now on my must see list. Since I gave up on cable/satellite TV about two years ago and don't go to the movies, I don't really get to see the ads for upcoming flicks. Thanks!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Dieter122 said:
I think what I saw on tv was "Hitler", the movie made for TV....seen so many Hitler programs on TV they all end up looking the same...thanks to History Channel...
yep, I've heard/seen that as well I believe. No, this is no made for TV movie. The battle scenes are as good as those in Private Ryan or the like.

What do people do for ammo for the STGs? I know theres LIMITED surplus available, like what you used when you borrowed it...but is there any commercially available STG ammo? Or any planned?
They simply don't shoot them that often.

The only surplus rarely available is the E.German surplus, goes for about $2 a round.

Supposedly I've been told a company out of Czech.Rep. is making new ammunition for it, but it's about the same price. :neutral:

If you want the video converted over to digital, I can do that for you...just send me a copy of the tape and ill convert it, upload it, and send you a CD or DVD hard copy. PM me if your interested.
actually I think I can get it done. The camera I had came with software to install on your PC so that you can play the vid on the PC and capture it to digital, I just haven't had the time to sit down, read the manual and do it. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Dieter122 said:
heres a good question, why doesnt anyone try to relpicate the STG, just as we see other clone rifles (m1 garands, m1 carbines,etc)? I know the cost would be high, but im sure a lot of people would be interested. im sure you heard of the semi auto FG42 rifle thats in the works....expensive as hell, but also cool as hell :twisted:
don't steal my future idea man. :confused:

j/k

it's been discussed in length before on arfcom in the General Firearm's discussion and on some HK boards.

Basically the tooling required to set it up would be in the hundreds of thousands, we're talking all the parts needed, all the stamping, and milling tools needed for every part, since you couldn't use any available parts for modern rifles in an accurate STG44 clone.

No one probably has the will to put into an investment like that. Another problem is you'd have to have someone make Ammo for them, or have it done at the same facility. :neutral:

I've talked about the prospect with a good friend currently in Law School. We've considered way down the road, maybe 10 years investing in something like that if it hasn't already been done. It's hard to say. it would be a risky enterprise.

-mark

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
"Saints and Soliders" was filmed in UT when I was out there.
A lot of the younger guys who are members of the Utah Gun Collectors Association, were asked to be extras.
Cold, but had a lot of fun.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts