AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,847 Posts
Could be the rifle was at a DDR shooting school. Could be a fake as well.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking up some more info and some people think that it is an East German school mark but that doesn't explain that West German style eagle.

·
Super Moderator
25,847 Posts
Nitro proofs were similar I believe. I used to have a Walther PP that was produced post war in the DDR that had a proof like that.
Another one they used was the Crown over the "N".

http://www.p38guns.com/EG%20Luger%207305.htm

This link will show you an example of a different DDR marks, including the Nitro proof. The Nitro proof was a standard in Germany since before WWII, and is still used today. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I was curious about that one. I'm going to get a Mosin sniper after I get an AK but of course good one show up when I don't have any money! :confused:

·
Super Moderator
25,847 Posts
WhiteRabbit said:
Thanks, I was curious about that one. I'm going to get a Mosin sniper after I get an AK but of course good one show up when I don't have any money! :confused:
There are good reviews for the repros at Interordnace of America that are less than $500. There are lots of fakes out there, and lots of homework to wade through. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd rather have a refurb sniper. I've seen a lot of dealers at gunshows try to pass off fakes as real.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I bought a repop one a couple years back when they were down to $350 on my C&R.
For what it is, it is a fine rifle. Sub 2" groups at 100 yards with Czech silvertip.
A guy at the range dubbed it the "Flintstones Target Rifle". As he looked though the scope he busted out laughing and proclaimed "It's horrible! I love it!!". I let him try a clip. 2" group of five shots!

So it shoots as well as my PSL. But the weak 3.5x scope makes you work for it. Cool old rifle though!

·
Registered
134 Posts
The markings are German proofing marks. The shield is either Franconia or Kettner. 2 big hunting shops in Germany.
AF Waffschu is probably Waffen Schumacher. A german gunshop who offered the rifle for proofing.
The scopemount looks like a replica to me. Originals are pollished and blue. In Germany a lot of normal MN are rebuild as sniper rifles. The numbers of the scope on the rifle look different than the serial numbers. Combined with a numberd replica scope mount.... I wouldn't buy it.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Race pretty much nailed it...

It's a complete repro PU sniper using a 91/30 that was once a rifle in Germany....post war of course.

The repro SVT style scope is easy to spot as the hammer head in the Soviet coat of arms is closed to the handle.

A legit 1943 "Progress" factory logo will look like this...

A good comparrison bewteen a legit scope (on top) and a modern repro (on bottom) can be seen here...

Izhevsk never stamped serial numbers on the PU mount....that was strictly a Tula control process.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts