AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got it together. I head spaced on a 'go' gauge via http://www.autochart.com/vz58.htm instructions. Looks like everything feeds and functions, but I still haven't had a chance to test fire.

Some questions for those of you who have built these about some things I noted...

First, let me say that everything was ORF (rec and compliance parts).

1) there was virtually no press fit on the barrel to receiver... it was a perfect fit, but I was able to push the barrel where I needed it by hand. Is this normal for all ORF rec's?

2) I head spaced it, so I know it's on. Bolt was right up against the breech face. With the no-go and field gauges there was a space between the locking lug piece and where it should sit flat against the bolt if it were proper headspace... so I'm assuming that's as it should be. My question I guess is... what keeps it from firing a round that doesn't chamber? For example, the AK won't go into battery. What keeps you from touching off a primer with the VZ??

3) There's a square metal shim that came with ORF's compliance parts... what the hell is that for?

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
First of all the barrel must be a press fit!!!! DO NOT fire the rifle. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
IN RANGE inc said:
First of all the barrel must be a press fit!!!! DO NOT fire the rifle. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
+1

the striker cannot hit the firing pin until the carrier is far enough over bolt to have engaged lugs if it is still open striker will hit carrier instead.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IN RANGE inc said:
Well, it's not the end of the world... should be easy enough to get the barrel pin back out and remove the barrel. I have one left to put together. I don't have the means to knurl the barrel, but I'm sure if I stipple it will make for a press fit. Think that will do? As I said, it wasn't sloppy.. it was just the exact same size (barrel hole and barrel).

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I would at least knurl it, stipling will be hard to get required interference and still keep it concentric. I'm sure someone here would offer that service cheap. I would do it but my crappy lathe is 1" too short for a vz58 barrel :mad:

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
metalmole said:
If you caint find anyone local I can knurl it for ya...................AD
Doh, my buddy (it's his rifle) just took it in today to his FFL who also does smith work. His suggestive fixes seemed odd to me. One was to stipple, one was to lathe grooves in the barrel and JB weld??? and to knurl. I told my buddy to go with the knurl, but he's charging him $30 to do it. I greatly appreciate the offer though metalmole.

I thought for sure one fix he'd offer up would be to silver solder it in place.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Negative on the silver solder or JB weld......!!!!!! Knurl it and try to get it right on the headspace and sight being vertical on the first try. If you have to press it back out for any reason you 'd have to re- knurl it.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shouldn't be a problem, thanks.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Did the receiver have an existing hole in it for the barrel pin? I just looked at those instructions and could'nt tell if there was a hole there or not.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
loner42 said:
Did the receiver have an existing hole in it for the barrel pin? I just looked at those instructions and could'nt tell if there was a hole there or not.
No, you have to drill the barrel pin hole. ORF already has it started/dimpled. With a good sharp bit it goes through with no problem, even on my crappy little drill press.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts