AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might seem like a strange question, but here goes. If I was to fill some metal with JBweld epoxy, would Moly Resin still work over it, or would it not bond to that area?

Any idea if the JBweld would be affected by the heat during application?

Thanks,
Alex

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Don't know about Moly but GunKote worked fine over JB Weld for me, baked at 325° for 45 minutes with no problems ...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I use GK over JBW all the time.

One tip, prebake the epoxy for 30 minutes, then see if it has raised and needs to be sanded back down. Also, you might need to spray some GK over the epoxy area only, bake and sand it smooth like a primer. I have had JBW appear more porous and therefore obvious after a single application of GK.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you gentlemen, exactly the answers I needed. You both covered everything!

Cheers,
Alex

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I have to ask. for what reason would JB Weld be needed on a firearm ? and if used under gun-kote are you using it like bondo ?

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
gundoc said:
I have to ask. for what reason would JB Weld be needed on a firearm ? and if used under gun-kote are you using it like bondo ?
As a filler for deep scratches or rust pitting.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
10-4 .. Since I hot blue most of the time (non-AK) I have to tig weld using the 3.5% nickle steel filler rods Brownells sells for deep pitting & damage. When the bluing is finished you cant see the repair...But I see now how the JB stuff would work under gun-kote or paint . If it was used on a barrel would it hold up after a few mag dumps?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I've never used it on guns, just on carburetors I was modifying for racing. If you get it really hot, it will break-down, smoke, and just crumble away. I don't think I would use it on anything that would get very hot, at least hotter than baking GK at 300* or so. Even then I am only using it like Bondo, as a filler.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
No, I wouldn't use it on a barrel due to the high temps the barrel may experience. Just out of curiosity, anyone know of a product that can be used as a filler and can handle very high temps?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Evercoat is a product like Bondo. I am pretty sure it won't take the heat for GK, much less a barrel.
On any part seeing much heat, I'd either use solder, braze, or weld.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts