AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this idea in another thread, and now I have a prototype ready. A Gunsmith friend of mine had some steel rail laying around, and MIG welded the rail to the RH side of this Bulgarian gastube. My intentions was to have an unobtrusive way of mounting a light. I have on order a VLTOR Scout Mount for a Surefire G2 light, and a Surefire G2 LED model light on the way. The only thing that way be an issue is the sling. I personally use the BlueForceGear Slings with the MASH hook, and it may/may not clear. I won't know until a week or so when the items arrive. I shall post PICS when the setup is complete upon an ARSENAL 107FR. As far as the weld job, the rail was welded at both ends, and atop as well as the bottom within the grooves of the gastube.

PICS of the VLTOR Scout Mount:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PanzerSlayer said:
A sideways ultimak!!
I have tried the ULTIMAK, and it wasn't for me. Some like them, I do not. I like the ability of removing the gas tube for regular cleaning. I don't want to mess around with tools in the field in order to get the tube off. Nor do I want to accidentally strip one of the mounting holes. Also, with my experience's, the ULTIMAK get's fairly hot quick. I decided to take a different approach to the problem of mounting a light on an AK, without the use of a lower railed handguard, or the ULTIMAK tube mount. If the ULTIMAK works good for some that's great. I just wasn't thrilled with the one I had, hence the modified tube shown above.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
That looks very good.

I made a suggestion to UltiMAK along the same lines a year or so ago.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If those were to become available for sale, I'd buy one. That's just what I was wanting, but don't weld.

·
Registered
343 Posts
NCLivingBrit said:
If those were to become available for sale, I'd buy one. That's just what I was wanting, but don't weld.
Exactly.

I've been thinking of trying out the Irondot, and would then like to ditch the Ultimak. And I'd really like to go with an X300 instead of the G2, and this mount looks like it might make that possible.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Likewise; I need a good simple light mount for mine, too. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
215 Posts
rob_s said:
NCLivingBrit said:
Exactly.

I've been thinking of trying out the Irondot, and would then like to ditch the Ultimak. And I'd really like to go with an X300 instead of the G2, and this mount looks like it might make that possible.
That is exactly what I'm thinking of doing with my Saiga AK-101 (this way I can keep all of my pretty plum furniture :lol: )

ETA: I would be very interested in one of these too...

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
How is the clearence with the top hanguard?
Gnats ass, or lose a finger in there? :twisted:
Good Idea.
Assembled pics would be apreciated.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm thinking I'm going to have mine welded to the cap instead of the tube. I want the rail to be able to be 2" long, and that's the only way I see being able to accomodate that length.

It will be canitlevered out a bit, but I think with a little judicious grinding it should be possible to get it to the right length and get enough bearing area to be sturdy enough for a light.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, haven't been keeping up with the thread. If I had to do it all over again, I would have welded the rail on top of the gas tube, and used an offset light mount. That way, it wouldn't interfer with the sling. Other than the sling issue, it worked out fine, but mounted on top I think would be better, if it doesn't get in the way of the rear sight, with the mount on it, though it may not. There are some companies that sell steel rail sections , but it isn't cheap.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I kind of thought the same thing. What kind of light did you mount?

I'm planning on putting a slightly longer piece of rail on the tube, and relocating the sling attachment point back to the bottom/rear of the handguards to get out of the way of the light. Then I intend to use a Surefire X300 on the rail.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thought I'd update this. I haven't made any new attempts yet. My original mount as shown would have been prefect for use with a SurefireX200/300 or Streamlight, which at the time I didn't consider. I was thinking more along the lines of the G2 and similar lights that are bulkier. I don't believe the Surefire X200/300 and Streamlight models would have interfered with a sling considering that they are relatively compact, without protruding too far out, while giving out plenty of light.

Unfortunately, I gave my first mount away, and will now have to make up another one to try a Surefire/Streamlight compact light.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts