AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally use the same lane when we go to the range. I noticed today that it was slinging brass ten more feet than usual. Also all the brass was dented as in picture. Both brass and steel are denting. When I got home, I pulled out my brass from the last trip, none was dented. I always swab the barrel after every trip, but other than that I have not touched it. Pulled dust cover, everything spick-and-span except cosmoline that seems to come from somewhere. And a very small amount at that. This gun has had less than 500 rounds since 1999 or so. And normally 20 to 40 rounds at a time/per trip to the range. Last time I had it at the range was the warmest I have ever had the gun. I put a hundred rounds through it in a relatively short amount of time. I am shooting out of the exact same ammo as last trip also. Even the same batch of ammo.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dang, this was supposed to go in the Galil subsection. I apologize.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Cosmoline oozing out of the bolt onto the face making for a sticky and violent ejection?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know,when I cycle the rounds through without firing them.. no dents.

·
Registered
583 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may have found the issue. I gave it a full disassembly and found cosmoline in the gas tube. The port appeared clean, but I hit it with a pipe cleaner and gave the tube a good cleaning. The piston grooves we're full also. So if I'm understanding right from what I have read, it was over gassing.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
These rifles are heavily over gassed. You can modify the gas piston or buy the KNS adjustable one.

If originality is important you could buy a spare gas piston and modify that after swapping it in for the stock one.

Hint, you can buy 2 or 3 gas pistons for one KNS adjustable one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No more mangled brass! Took it out after work and put 30 rounds through it. All is well, and a lesson learned. I even found the date stamp on the barrel, 6 of1982, when I disassembled it for cleaning.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Great you were able to fix it. Can you post a picture of these grooves you're talking about?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
20200205_184616_1580946555395.jpg Those grooves were full of cooked cosmoline(just behind piston) I am assuming that sealed the gas system up too tight. I've noticed that I've got the tiniest of dents while playing around this weekend. Before it was putting 1/2 inch long dent in the side of the cartridge. I think I may end up ordering an adjustable system or buying a spare piston and modifying it myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts