AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any evidence that the MN44 Carbine ever had scopes mounted on them? If so I would think it would be a PU1 like on the 91/30's

·
Super Moderator
25,774 Posts
Not that I'm aware of. I've seen one example that bubba did, but that was all.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
This pic came out of a Russian book on arms and shows what appears to be a M38 or a nuttered M44 with a PU scope set-up, but it is the only image I have ever seen of such a set up. Now there is always the possability of a field set up sniper. The VC did a lot of wild things with the weapons they had.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing the pic, now that I think of it, I don't see how you could mount a scope on the MN44 w/o changing the bolt, since it's not turned down.

·
Registered
890 Posts
The Soviets made a very few PU scoped M38 sniper rifles, but they are very rare. I've never encountered a real one, but I have seen a few M38, M44, 91/59, and 91/44 (also known as the 91/38) carbines that some drooling, toothless, albino, livestock molesting Bubba chopped up and put a PU or PO scope setup on.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
So, uh, anyone know where to get a turned down bolt? :mrgreen:

(Not the weld on kit ones....)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Mike Battersby at Mosinparts.com does the best Mosin sniper bolt conversions I've ever seen. I examined a couple bolts he did for my friend and fellow Mosin sniper collector Duane "Cap'n Duane" Neese a few years ago, and they were indistinguishable from the original sniper bolts in my collection.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Marcus said:
Mike Battersby at Mosinparts.com does the best Mosin sniper bolt conversions I've ever seen. I examined a couple bolts he did for my friend and fellow Mosin sniper collector Duane "Cap'n Duane" Neese a few years ago, and they were indistinguishable from the original sniper bolts in my collection.
Those look excellent. Thank You!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Marcus said:
I will add another +1 for Mike. I've had him do at least a half dozen for me and bought one flat out that he had for sale. The best, hands down and his price and turn-around time can't be beat.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Miller Tyme said:
This pic came out of a Russian book on arms and shows what appears to be a M38 or a nuttered M44 with a PU scope set-up, but it is the only image I have ever seen of such a set up. Now there is always the possability of a field set up sniper. The VC did a lot of wild things with the weapons they had.

Miller Tyme, - Do you know off hand who the author and title is?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts