AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two weeks ago, I discovered that this little gem that was being offered for sale locally. I, without hesitation, contacted the seller immediately. We came to terms on pricing and finalized the transaction yesterday. Best of all, I had the pleasure of connecting with a fellow local enthusiast.

Suffice it to say, I am extremely overjoyed with my purchase and for a variety of reasons. For starters, the rifle is an actual AK that was built by CUGIR in a Romanian factory. Secondly, the rifle is chambered in 22 LR. Last but not least, my nieces and nephews now have another option to shoot at the range.

Without further ado, I present my AKT-98!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Is it a full size ak?

Sent from my HTC Desire 501 using Tapatalk
Yes it is. Romania uses them for training rifles for 'youth'. Son found this out when he was attached to a Romanian unit in Iraq. They were surprised he had one.......and all the other Romanian weapons we have in PRIVATE ownership.

Congratulations on the new toy. Nice looking one.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Curious is your AKT-98 was supplied with wood furniture. I bought my AKT-98 from SOG and it came with polymer furniture. I also bought a couple extra 10 round mags which look like AK 20 round mags. The later WASR 22 were supplied with 10 round polymer mags like in your photo.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome:thumbsup:
Very cool find.
Very nice "baby AK". :D
I was expecting an aircraft carrier!
sweet rifle though. on the bucket list.
Yes it is. Romania uses them for training rifles for 'youth'. Son found this out when he was attached to a Romanian unit in Iraq. They were surprised he had one.......and all the other Romanian weapons we have in PRIVATE ownership.

Congratulations on the new toy. Nice looking one.
Thank you for your kind words, gentlemen!

Curious is your AKT-98 was supplied with wood furniture. I bought my AKT-98 from SOG and it came with polymer furniture. I also bought a couple extra 10 round mags which look like AK 20 round mags. The later WASR 22 were supplied with 10 round polymer mags like in your photo
No, the seller swapped out the original furniture set for the furniture set that is currently installed on the rife. As you well and know, these rifles were equipped with polymer furniture sets that were exclusive to these rifles only. In addition to the rifle, the seller included the original factory polymer furniture set + three 10 round steel East German Weiger magazines.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last Saturday, I had the opportunity to shoot my AKT-98 at the range. She shoots like a dream! The previous owner had her dialed in and my first shot at 25 yards was right on the money.

All in all, I shot 200 rounds and she performed flawlessly. Outside of test functioning the rifle, I primarily shot 5 shot groups at 25 yards and I achieved the same result as the target below.

After a successful day at the range, I can now say, "Mission Accomplished!"

·
Registered
270 Posts
Great find. I love those Romy blonde laminate hand guards!

Reactions: klagz13

·
Registered
339 Posts
Great looking rifle, my AKT-98 actually shoots really good groups and has a good trigger. Sounds like you got a great deal especially getting the orignal furniture and mags.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Great find. I love those Romy blonde laminate hand guards!
Great looking rifle, my AKT-98 actually shoots really good groups and has a good trigger. Sounds like you got a great deal especially getting the orignal furniture and mags.
Thank you for the kind words, gentlemen!

I am tempted to thread the barrel of the rifle, but I am afraid it would hurt the value of the rifle. On the other hand, I have no intentions of selling the rifle. What are your thoughts, gentlemen?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I considered threading my barrel and putting an AK slant break on it but decided to keep mine original. Yours would look good with a slant break

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After much debate, I decided to have the barrel of my AKT-98 threaded. I had the pleasure of meeting with Robert Forbus at his shop this morning in Greenbrier, TN. Robert was highly recommended by the AK community and I was overjoyed to learn that he was local. Within an hour of arriving at his shop, Robert successfully threaded my barrel to 1/2x28. Robert was extremely accommodating + his attention is to detail is unparalleled. Having said that, I strongly recommend Robert for all of your barrel needs!

With further ado, my newly threaded AKT-98 + Dead Air Armament Mask 22 suppressor!

At this stage, I am contemplating purchasing a RS Regulate side rail optic mount + a AimPoint T1/T2 red dot sight to complete the rifle. Have any of you folks mounted opted to these little beasts?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've never tried an optic on AKT-98, I enjoy shooting mine with iron sights. The suppressor looks good on your AK, I bet it'll be pretty quiet. Congrats, I can't own a suppressor where I live so my neighbors get to hear me shoot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts