AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a pic of the engraving on the left side of the receiver of a milled type 56 rifle? Looking to see if it has any chinese text like the reference pics of the 56-1? Or is it just the factory 386 and then 56 with the serial number? If no pics, has anyone seen one and remember?

Thanks
Ryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,372 Posts
I found these three on my hard drive. Except for the serials, they are marked the same.

The first is a registered Type 56 that was on Gunbroker and the second and third are from Stottman, I think.





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
milled 56

:hail: :hail: Thanks, that's better than I was hoping for! Do you have a pic of the other side of the receiver, I'm sure it is the same as the 56-1 pic's, but just wondering since I was wrong about factory 386. Do you have a pic of entire rifle? :hail: :hail:

Thanks
Ryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,372 Posts
As I said, the pictures with the red background were from an auction and the white background photos belong to Stottman.














I found another Type 56, this one a demilled parts set, also "Triangle 66" marked. Note that it's the only one of the 4 that has a folding bayonet.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Milled

:shock: Thanks for all of the pics! I came across a stamped type 56 parts set with a folding bayonet, and have decided to have it built on a Firing Line press & pin milled receiver, as soon as they are finished and ready for sale. I want to have it engraved and try and make it something special, before today I thought all milled guns came from factory 386.

Thanks
:smile: Ryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,527 Posts
Re: Milled

ryanj52 said:
:shock: Thanks for all of the pics! I came across a stamped type 56 parts set with a folding bayonet, and have decided to have it built on a Firing Line press & pin milled receiver, as soon as they are finished and ready for sale. I want to have it engraved and try and make it something special, before today I thought all milled guns came from factory 386.

Thanks
:smile: Ryan
Ryan, what's the word you're getting regarding those receivers from Firing Line?

I called in my serial number for one of the T3 receivers(gonna use it to build a 56 spiker clone) that are due any time now, but I would like to get one of the press and pin ones myself for another build.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
receiver

I called a few weeks ago, and they told me a couple more weeks, I called yesterday and they told me a couple more weeks, so who knows, I hope they are ready soon, I am ready to get this one underway. I am planning on letting them assemble it so, I'm sure I will have to wait it line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
trigger guard

I noticed that the trigger guards in the above pics, have 4 rivets compared to the normal 2 on imported chinese guns, I have a chinese trigger guard with 2 rivets, but am planning on using a firing line receiver, which will have holes drilled for 4 rivets, I was going to try and have the holes welded and redrilled for 2 rivets. Should I go with a akm style trigger guard with a chinese mag release or should I have the holes welded? I would like it to be as close as possible, both of my chinese rifles I have now both milled and stamped have the 2 rivet style trigger guard, anyone know when they changed from 4 to 2? Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks Ryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
Re: trigger guard

Double-tap...my bad....don't kick me off the range...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,654 Posts
I talked to Mike a few days ago and he said it shouldn't be much longer on the recievers. I'm in the Type 56 clone line along with the rest of you guys. Hope they get done soon. :grin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
Re: trigger guard

ryanj52 said:
I noticed that the trigger guards in the above pics, have 4 rivets compared to the normal 2 on imported chinese guns, I have a chinese trigger guard with 2 rivets, but am planning on using a firing line receiver, which will have holes drilled for 4 rivets, I was going to try and have the holes welded and redrilled for 2 rivets. Should I go with a akm style trigger guard with a chinese mag release or should I have the holes welded? I would like it to be as close as possible, both of my chinese rifles I have now both milled and stamped have the 2 rivet style trigger guard, anyone know when they changed from 4 to 2? Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks Ryan
2 rivet TGs are for stamped Type 56, milled still have 4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,220 Posts
Re: trigger guard

SteveM said:
ryanj52 said:
I noticed that the trigger guards in the above pics, have 4 rivets compared to the normal 2 on imported chinese guns, I have a chinese trigger guard with 2 rivets, but am planning on using a firing line receiver, which will have holes drilled for 4 rivets, I was going to try and have the holes welded and redrilled for 2 rivets. Should I go with a akm style trigger guard with a chinese mag release or should I have the holes welded? I would like it to be as close as possible, both of my chinese rifles I have now both milled and stamped have the 2 rivet style trigger guard, anyone know when they changed from 4 to 2? Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks Ryan
2 rivet TGs are for stamped Type 56, milled still have 4.
Not on my Legend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
milled

Not my legend either, I'm wondering if because the legends were made for export, and there was a large amount of stamped trigger guards available? Just like the legend has a pressed barrel, not threaded. I would like my build to be accurate, and I am wondering about.which trigger guard to use, do I use the chinese one I have or do I create my own using a AKM one with chinese mag catch. Unless someone knows were to get a 4 rivet chinese trigger guard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
Weird, all the military milled Type 56 I have seen have 4 rivets on the TG. I admit to not having a legend...don't think poorly of me. :) Seriously though, the Chinese did essentially reconstruct their milled production line for the 80s export market, by then production for the PLA had long since switched to stamped 56s and then 81s. It wouldn't surprise me if they decided to use the two rivet TGs on the export rifles.
Here's a pic of a Type 56, note the muzzle nut which when seen on models with underfolding bayonets usually indicates an export rifle.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nice pic

I may have to go with a akm style trigger guard with a Chinese mag catch, won't have to weld up any holes in the receiver that way. Thanks for the pics guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,011 Posts
...note the muzzle nut which when seen on models with underfolding bayonets usually indicates an export rifle.
I'm not sure if that's exactly accurate. Most of the underfolding bayonet Type 56 rifles I encountered overseas were of the variety without a threaded muzzle.

Here's a Type 56 from Factory "386" with an underfolding bayonet, unthreaded muzzle, and export-style selector markings:





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
rayman1 said:
...note the muzzle nut which when seen on models with underfolding bayonets usually indicates an export rifle.
I'm not sure if that's exactly accurate. Most of the underfolding bayonet Type 56 rifles I encountered overseas were of the variety without a threaded muzzle.
Read what I wrote again. The presence of a muzzle nut only indicates that it is likely an export rifle, the lack of a muzzle nut doesn't rule out that it's an export rifle. Yes, lots of exports have no muzzle nut. As an army that doesn't use rifle grenades, PLA rifles almost universally did not have muzzle nuts, with the exception of very early milled guns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,372 Posts
If we're going to draw any conclusions about muzzle nuts, I think we should distinguish between milled and stamped rifles.

I can't recall seeing any milled rifles, anywhere, either with an attached bayonet or not, that didn't have a muzzle nut. Has anyone else? Eliminating the muzzle threads seems to have been one of the simplifications made with the adoption of the stamped receiver rifles.

I'd also like to see us distinguish between Chinese military rifles, made for their own use or for export, and the rifles made for the U.S. commercial market. For example, commercial stamped rifles shipped with threaded muzzles, presumably because they could use the same press and pin barrel assemblies on more than one model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
Richard W. said:
I can't recall seeing any milled rifles, anywhere, either with an attached bayonet or not, that didn't have a muzzle nut. Has anyone else? Eliminating the muzzle threads seems to have been one of the simplifications made with the adoption of the stamped receiver rifles.
My research indicates that the few years in the 60s after the Sino-Soviet split, but before the stamped Type 56, milled rifles for the PLA had no muzzle nut.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,372 Posts
Steve- Great picture.

So, with that we can surmise that deleting the muzzle threads began before the end of milled production.

Can we say that all Chinese military stamped rifles did not have muzzle threads?

(I don't mean any of the rifles made for the U.S. market.)
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top