AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a collector's grade Polish underfolder kit. I am not a big fan of underfolders, but they look great and I didn't want to pass up the chance to own such a nice one. I have been thinking of having it built on a milled receiver--expensive, but the extra weight should make it more comfortable to shoot (the reason I am not a big fan is the jaw-popping discomfort of the stock). Have there ever been any Polish underfolders with milled receivers? Based on the date code of the kit I know I am not building a hostorically accurate kit with a milled receiver, but I wondered if there was EVER a milled folder.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Yes, the Poles built "Type III" milled AKS-47 underfolders for a while.

They were called PMKS. They looked just like the Russian milled underfolder, except for the type of laminated or solid wood handguards and pistol grip.

The AK-47 (Type III) used a heavier barrel and different gas block and gas tube than the AKM, so as long as you're not hung up on the historical accuracy they you'll be fine.

The kit you have is an AKMS kit, an underfolding AKM, so it has a lighter barrel and different gas block and tube than the earlier AK-47.

I agree, while the underfolders have major cool points, they aren't the most comfortable to shoot. I usually have to tilt the rifle a little to the left when I shoulder it to get a better weld on it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
if it helps..go up and look at my original T3 Polish underfolder..that may help you..sorry for the blurry pics in advance

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks that does help, I found TWO milled underfolders in the photos and I think they look perfect--just what I would like to have built. I can also see I will now need to keep my eyes out for a set of solid wood handguards and pistol grip. Now to start haunting the Firing Line web page and drooling over those milled receivers...

·
Registered
451 Posts
yeah the cost of the recievers is BRUTAL!!!! but if i had a primo kit to build, i would probably fork out the $$$$

that would be a solid freakin rifle !

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I did it, it cost me 825.00 for the receiver, build, molycoat, compliance parts, + the kit. The kit was collector grade I would do it again, it shoots unbelievable.Accurate hardly any kick. FL did it for me. I found some old polish wood from Doug at Tantal. Here is a pic.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a beauty! I want to do get mine blued vice a molycoat solution, although I know the moly is better protection for the weapon. Of course I still haven't shelled out for the reveiver, so my project isn't going anywhere fast. Regarding the wood from Doug Ford, I assume both the handguards and PG are solid wood? Any idea if he has more sets? What did you pay for the wood if I may ask?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I would have done the blueing but FL doesn't do it and they don't recommend anyone anymore. The wood is a laminated set. I got lucky
when I asked Doug for it he found a set. I believe it was around 169.00
or less.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
For what it is worth regarding the FL receiver, I just finished a milled underfolder using an Apex Bulgarian T-3 kit, new barrel from K-Var and a Firing Line UF milled receiver. I went over the receiver pretty good taking measurments and comparing to an Arsenal-Bulgaria receiver. No real problems and the quality of the machining and finish was very good. This was the first American made Firing Line receiver I had used so I have to admit I was a little skeptical.

I did find the dimension from the receiver face to the bolt lugs was about .014" shorter than the Bulgarian but that is no problem with a press-in barrel.

The offset on the bolt lugs was a tad off from a Bulgarian receiver and sure enough only one lug was contacting the bolt (right side only). It wasn't a huge issue, just had to file a tad off the right bolt lug. Then I lapped it in and it came out really nice with both lugs contacting properly. I bought 3 UF receivers and they all are dead nuts the same so I will have to rework the others also. :(

They put the damn UF locking lug holes on the right side of a milled receiver so you can use a stock from a stamped AKM...anyone who would do that ought to be shot. :stonehim: So..I had to plug those two holes. They also put the small slots for the tube locking pin at 12 and 6:00 instead of at 9 and 3:00 for a milled receiver UF stock. I just drilled my cross tube at 12-6:00 to rectify that.

Manufacturer's info is on the bottom in front of the trigger. Tiny Eagle at left-rear corner mostly under the grip. I filed the stamping down and filled it in.

I am going to do a Russian and a Polish with the other 2 receivers. Going to blue both of those but I did a Gun Kote finish on the Bulgy.

Anyway, in summary I was really happy to just be able to get a milled underfolder receiver and I recommend a Firing Line. I paid $500 each but I think you get what you pay for on this stuff.

Will post pics in the "Bulgarian" forum soon.

Am anxious to do the Polish as the Apex kit was brand new so it ought to come out nice. Will have to use a new stripped Bulgarian barrel from K-Var and put the Polish components on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts