AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a milled MAK 90 at the local gunshow this weekend. I've got a couple of questions about it. I have done work to many of the stamped guns, but not the milled.

It came with a black Choate looking stock. First thing I want to do is buy a nice Ironwwod stock set and maybe have Zrecto finish it. Do the Ironwood stock sets require alot of fitting?

The other thing I'm thinking of doing is threading the barrel. Two things on this. The whole barrel has the look of being threaded the entire length. I know its not threads, but I do not know how else to describe it. Will this create a problem putting threads on the barrel for a brake?

I may also refinish the gun in Moly Resin or Gunkote. The finish looks OK, but the rifle has the potential to look really nice after the Ironwood furniture goes on. Any differences in refinishing the milled guns vs the stamped guns?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The biggest factor for stock fit will be receiver cut- some are 'slant' cut; during the ban they did that to discourage people from putting proper stocks on the neutered AKs. If it is not slant cut, you should only need minor fitting. There was somebody making stock sets for slant cut guns, but I don't remember who.

The interesting ridges on the barrel will not affect your ability to thread the barrel.

Chinese AKs are all blued. Especially with a milled gun, I think bluing looks best. I believe you may maintain better resale with a proper blue finish as well, but I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I would get a set from Matt at Ironwooddesign, but I would not molycoat it. I would leave it like it is. Just for it value. If you were to sell it at a later date any collector would want a reduced price or would not want it at all. Reblue it ya, but I don't know of anyone who still blues like they did.
Kinda of a lost art. Here is mine with Ironwood furniture.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sasm7, that is beautiful. Is the lower HG from Ironwood?

I have been wodering if there are any other options besides Ironwood. For example, wood the plasticset off my SAM7 fit? (Guess I could just try it and see)

I was thinking of pulling the plastic stuff off my SAM7 and putting one of the blonde Bulgy wood sets from KVAR on there.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
All the wood upper, lower, pistol grip & buttstock are from Ironwood.
Everything in the black poly would fit except the buttstock. Ironwood is the only one that I know of who makes the buttstock. You might try making it yourself, but the frustration might not out weight the cost from Ironwood. He has very reasonable pricing and great quality.

·
Registered
413 Posts
This is my "Ironwood Mak-90".

:twisted:

·
Registered
413 Posts
California Black Walnut. All 4 pieces. I found that rifle in a pawn shop for $175 out the door in 2000. I was glad to ditch the thumbhole stock it had on it.

:twisted:

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
The "threading" on the barrel are just machine marks where the barrel was turned. They shouldn't have any effect on your threading the muzzle.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The top rifle is my MAK-90 with ironwood on it. The pistol grip is not ironwood. I am very happy how it turned out. The stock fits real tight.

·
Registered
413 Posts
AK-47,

Nice set of AK's you have. I too love my Iron wood Ak.

:grin:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Guys, the only thing I don't like about the Ironwood stock for the Mak's, both stamped and milled, is that they do not have the proper drop at the heal like all pre-ban buttstocks do. I don't know why they don't make them shaped like the originals, the guns would look so much more like Chinese pre-bans.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts