AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes and no. Pg. 85 of the Tokoi has some good pics of the beast. It has a hooded FSB, threaded vs pinned barrel, and cooling vents in the upper. Only difference between them and the non-spiker model 56 is the markings as far as I can tell. I have heard they were an export model and the first Chinese copy of the type three.

Just looking for more info.

Brick

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was that cutaway actuaully marked M-22? It should have been marked right where that big mill cut is on the left side.

Brick

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
All my legends have an open site, my postban milleds have the hooded site. I though that the M designation was for early imports. The Book says that the M22 is the same as 56, milled, knife bayo, closed or hooded sites and was an export.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I've seen a M22 that had a hooded FSB, stamped M22 on the left side, L & D selector marks, and threaded vs. pinned barrel. Everything else was avg. chinese. Polished carrier, light chu wood, fat checkered grip, smooth top cover.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I did miss that milled open hood on the thread. I see it now. That is why I am hoping for more pics as that is only one I have seen with an open hood. Just trying to make sense of it. Also trying to figure out what was the most common for Vietnam era capture 47's. I haven't been able to find any good pics of capture guns markings. Were there any M-22 in Vietnam? If not, what era is it from? This is the info I am trying to nail down.

Brick

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
Brick,

I have some that were sent to me, when I was creating www.chicom47.net I will have to locate them, they are on my hard drive, or a server somewhere.

Rot

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Brick said:
Well I did miss that milled open hood on the thread. I see it now. That is why I am hoping for more pics as that is only one I have seen with an open hood. Just trying to make sense of it. Also trying to figure out what was the most common for Vietnam era capture 47's. I haven't been able to find any good pics of capture guns markings. Were there any M-22 in Vietnam? If not, what era is it from? This is the info I am trying to nail down.

Brick
Yes, M22s were in Vietnam. Chinese sources are very proud of the hooded sight, it was one of the key "indigenous" features incorprated when they type-classified the Type 56. If you see a milled Type 56 with an open sight it's because it is using Russian barrel parts.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are a few pics I found. So the M-22 came first before the type56.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Don't forget, M22 was a "sterile" marking also used on the SKS & Tokarev pistol.

Legends have open FSB's to more closely replicate the original Russian gun appearance for American consumers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts