AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a barrel from Kvar..part number AK-601 ( http://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-601.html) for a milled build Im working on and the barrel I received looks different that the one in their photograph. Its supposed to be a SLR 95 barrel for the modern AK74 style milled 7.62 rifle but it looks more like the "Classic" barrel with no barrel threads. Can someone post a photo of their SLR-95 barrel with the handguards removed please so I can have a look. I dont want to call KVAR if Im wrong...

·
Technical Advisor
15,526 Posts
The SLR95 did not have the AK74 FSB. It had a unique fish gill type pressed on muzzle device. The gas block is the 90 degree A74 type and the RSB is AK47 pattern in journal size.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
I've used a SLR-95 barrels, milled them back about 1/8" and pressed on '74 FSBs, works great if that's what you're after. I can post a pic later ...

·
Technical Advisor
15,526 Posts
The SLR95 is the modern type of milled barrel used by Bulgaria. A milled HGR, GB and FSB will not fit the barrel. So an ordinary milled kit is only partially useable with that barrel and the kit parts.
The SLR95 barrel can also be used for a stamped build. ExaMPLE>

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Here's my SA M7 rebarreled with the KVar SLR-95 barrel. Like I mentioned before you'd have to mill it back for the AK74 FSB to fit, the original GB and RSB pressed on just fine ...

Not the best pic ...

·
Technical Advisor
15,526 Posts
The journal is shorter as the SLR95 does not use the longer AK74 FSB. You need to lathe it back a small distance. Maybe .250" IIRC. As to fitment of diameter it depends on the FSB diameter and the barrel diameter. Both vary in commbloc manufacturing and are generally marked 1-4. Measuring the barrel journal and the FSB ID is the answer to get a good interference fit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts