AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need some enlightenment from you more informed guys. I am getting a Hungarian milled part kits and will have someone to build it for me. Besides the FiringLine milled receiver, is there another option(s) to build it up? Is FiringLine the only milled receiver available? Can a milled kit be built into stamped receiver? if so, does it involved extensive work?
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I prefer the last one. keeps all original markings on your reciever. And I'd stay away from building it into a stamped reciever, kind of a pain and comes out with a bastard Ak, not saying it won't be nice, just not worth anywhere nearly as much as what it would be if you built it into an ak47 as is. either with a firing line (i don't like the eagle) or having somebody or your self reweld it. I had a hungarian I just recently re-welded and I love it, take a look If you want a couple posts down. all I have left to do if refinish it.

·
Banned
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all inputs!
I should have mentioned that the kit is from an Bulgarian SA93 so welding would not be an option because it only has a bare barrel (removed from the receiver while the receiver is all gone). Possibly someone used the receiver for a project and sold the kit?
Possibly going for the stamped receiver route. Any idea where to buy trunnion?
I would guess it's nearly impossible to find unused Bulgarian milled receiver?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The unused Bulgarian receivers are seldom found for sale, but there are many ban-style Bulgarian rifles available that you can disassemble to get the receiver.

You can recoup some of the cost by selling the parts you strip off it, but be advised that there isn't a very strong market for the sale of ban-style parts.

The Bulgarian milled receivers are the best, IMO, and are the closest we can get to a real Warsaw Pact military AK-47 receiver. This is one from an SLR-95. I'm going to install a lower tang and swap out the mag catch before I build on it.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
pinned barrel reciever? yeah, since you have no stubs, you basically need a reciever or an ak flat and front and rear trunnions.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bought a couple of the kits I think you are talking about back when they were available for a spare parts stash for my SA93's. They are very nice kits of high quality Arsenal parts in new condition. They just aren't a military model. If the kit you are getting is what I infer it is - one of the Arsenal SA-93 kits that came from rifles cut up when their import permit didn't pan out - you're in a bit of a quandary.

If built on a milled receiver, the finished product would be a SA93. They are very nice civilianized rifles from the ban era. A copy of a SA93 isn't worth what it would cost to have the kit built on a milled receiver though. You can find SA93's at gun shows for around $500 in like new condition if you are patient.

I'd find a front trunion, rear tang and stamped furniture and build it on a stamped receiver. That is the most cost effective way to get it up and running.

·
Banned
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes; I believe it's an SA93 kit. This is very helpful hint, and I will probably followed the trunnions + stamped receiver route. Thanks all for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts