AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you take a threaded AK47 barrel and screw it into a new receiver or a different receiver stub, does it usually index properly?

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
zb-30 said:
If you take a threaded AK47 barrel and screw it into a new receiver or a different receiver stub, does it usually index properly?
You may get it to line up but that doesnt meen it will headspace.

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
underclock= i set the chop saw on and then slightly touch the front trunion on the broadside of the blade. a couple of seconds at a time and check it.

over clock = i order some stainless shims and add the corect amount (thickness) and use the least amount of shims (quantity) you can get away with.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So what can be done when the barrel is timed and tight and the head space is to large and the bolt is replaced for a new one with the same results?

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
try a new barrel or strip the barrel and start sanding off the front of the trunion untill it gets the right space. than reinstall the blocks..

·
Registered
70 Posts
The barrel is mint and replacement threaded barrels are few and far between now so I don't want toss it. Seems to me sanding down the front of the receiver will only cause the barrel to over time. Am I correct in this thought?

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
The country that has manufactured milled AK's the longest - Bulgaria - abandoned threaded receivers for press-and-pin ones.

Much faster and cheaper to manufacture, and it greatly simplifies the assembly process. Barrel installation and headspacing are done the same way as for stamped AK's. Push the barrel in with a press and drill for a crosspin. No worries about timing.

I had some of my threaded Hungarian AK-47 barrels modified by a member here, falarkar15, for use with Bulgarian milled receivers. He turned the threads off and left a perfect 23mm barrel journal.

When I first posted this, I got some shit from somebody for "killing" the AK's, but this modification will allow me to assemble them onto genuine OEM AK receivers. I understand that the Firing Line made (makes?) threaded receivers, but I much prefer the Bulgarian ones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts