AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone no AR-15 told me if I was interested in having my own AK I should join this forum and go to a build party some time. I think I understand the basic premise but I wanted clarification, what is a build party? Do I show up with a parts kit + lower (in some shape or form) + screws/rivets and leave with a gun that I made myself on someone elses equipment? Is the idea someone that knows what they are doing supervises?

I'm not sure I have the skill to assemble an AK properly without mucking something up. I've read the tutorials, it's not like assembling an AR lower and slapping on an upper.

·
Registered
115 Posts
build party

You got it, its a gathering of like minded people who hang out, swap build knowledge and help each other build kits and such. Were having one in Richmond sometime soon, hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
That's exactly what it is. A bunch of like-minded people together in one place eating some food and building some guns.

You bring your kit, receiver, compliance parts, rivets, and build a functioning rifle with them. Those who have built before will lend assistance. You don't need tools for the build, but it is nice if you can bring a Dremel with bits, cheap sacrificial punches (Haven't been to a party yet where one or more punches weren't bent or snapped), or any hand tools you may have.

As simple a design as the AK is, it often takes a bit of work to assemble and lots of tools at a party mean that you don't need to wait to get it done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed that building an AK requires a bit(lot) of work and I'd more or less written it off as something I wouldn't be able to competently do myself but this whole concept intrigues me.

Is it conceivable to walk in there with all the bits and pieces and walk out with a fully functioning rifle? Is it the sort of thing that can be done in a day or will it require multiple parties to complete?

I have hand tools, some cheap punches, etc I could bring. Friend has a dremel I could see if I could borrow, or hell maybe I'll just bring him and convince him to build his own AK.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
it can be done in a day.i went to z-recto's (member here) last summer and it took us just over 2 hours to build mine up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
crazychris said:
it can be done in a day.i went to z-recto's (member here) last summer and it took us just over 2 hours to build mine up.
Really? Just 2 hours? Did you start with a 100% lower or did you use a flat?

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
i used a nds3 receiver(100%).it had the holes alreay drilled for the trunnions and they lined up well.i had ground off all the rivet heads before i got down there to build.hardest part was getting the barrel pin out.we ended up having to drill it out.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
a Build party is like a bachelor party...but there are no chicks..... :sad:

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
guess it depends on what party you go to. ;)

glad to see you found the site, mrozowjj!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
It would help if you had your kit completely demiled when you get there, your build will go faster. But if you need help with that, that's OK too. The fun is in building with friends.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AK-Karl said:
It would help if you had your kit completely demiled when you get there, your build will go faster. But if you need help with that, that's OK too. The fun is in building with friends.
Meaning remove the rivets from the truncheons that are still attached to the old segmented receiver?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
yep, that's exactly what demilling is.

i have a bench grinder and drill press; you're more than welcome to come over and use them if you'd like. i might have to pick up a bit or two but that's no big deal. i need bits anyway. :grin:

only thing we wouldn't be able to do here is remove the barrel pin and barrel, but that's a relatively quick process compared to the rivets.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My friend has a hand held dremel, I don't know if that would work but I could try it at least. Otherwise I'll be taking you up on that offer for the grinder. I've just gonna take the plunge and order everything.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Whenever you're ready just drop me a line. House is a bit cluttered at the moment as we're still trying to get settled in to the new (tiny) digs. But the loading bench is up, and that's the most important part. :lol:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Its when some guy 30 miles out of town tricks a bunch of young dudes online into coming out for a "Build Party" when in actuality he spikes their koolaid and they all wake up in his basement tied up 3 days later with a burning sensation in their...

haha

·
Registered
274 Posts
mrozowjj said:
crazychris said:
Really? Just 2 hours? Did you start with a 100% lower or did you use a flat?
2 hours is probably a strech for a build from an AK builder flat.

But, I personally built two complete rifles at a Sat-Sun build party. One on Saturday from a DCI receiver (went pretty quick), and a second one on Sunday from a flat (took a bit longer). First builds ever. Half the time was spent waiting for an open press, so with no bottle necks, you really can get it done quick. It helps a lot if you read the builder websites with instructions over several times so you actually know and understand the process, and aren't just wasting time at the build party trying to figure out what to do.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If your building off of a flat, plan on two days at least. 100% receivers can be done by a supervised newbie in a day. I had a small get-together a few months ago, and one builder took about 7 hours. He knew NOTHING about AKs prior to build day.

I am thinking about having another gunfuckery day when it cools off. :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I started watching those videos int he stickie above and I am absolutely scared shitless. This isn't assembling an AR from two halves or even building up a stripped AR lower. There is far more skill involved.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
mrozowjj said:
I started watching those videos int he stickie above and I am absolutely scared shitless. This isn't assembling an AR from two halves or even building up a stripped AR lower. There is far more skill involved.

dude dont worry about it.....just relax and breathe a little bit. i am going to my first build party in a month, i am building 2 kits and possibly an ar lower if i get to it. it isnt that hard once you start thinking about it....just time consuming......besides, the members here will take care of you :wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts