AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
Need some advice.

I built a romy kit, and I wanna put a sidefolder on it. Thhe problem is, I live in Michigan and the law says that when the stock is folded, the rifle must have an overall length of 30". Right now with a slant brake on the muzzle, and the stock folded it measures 27". I wanna be totally legal, so I have thhought of 2 things I can do.

1 weld open the folder, but I hate to do that cuz I dont wanna wreck the folding stock.

2 get a muzzle device that is 4" long and weld it on. (Which I like better than welding the stock), but I cant find a muzzle brake that long.

Any suggestions? :neutral:

Big Leric

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried a Tantal brake today, it measures 29 15/16" from the front of the brake to the very back of the rear trunion...............Darn!

Looks like there may be some welding in my future. Hate to do it tho, the folder is pretty cool.

Big Leric

·
Registered
848 Posts
In Michigan if the rifle is from 26" to 30" and has a folding stock you can register it as a "michigan pistol ",so just register it as a pistol at your local pd and your good to go...

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
yagermeister said:
In Michigan if the rifle is from 26" to 30" and has a folding stock you can register it as a "michigan pistol ",so just register it as a pistol at your local pd and your good to go...
Yagermeister is on the money

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Ditto - I'm in MI as well. If it's 26" plus folded, you can register it as a pistol. Nevermind that MI says it's a pistol while the Federal Govt says its a rifle... MI never heard about Federal Supremacy under the law :)

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
If I am traveling to michigan to visit family, am I allowed to bring a standard underfolder?

I.E. are the rules just for residents?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
yagermeister said:
Correct. I can give you a link to the Michigan gun laws if you'd like. I have a Hotbarrel Tantal break in a park finnish that I had considered doing the same thing as you, if you would like it I'll sell it to you for what I paid plus shipping. It will get you above the 26" length which would get the rifle to "pistol" classification. After you register it, let me know how it all comes out, I'd really like an under folder too.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Robpiat- i assume just residents,but it wouldnt hurt to call the MI state police and ask some questions.....

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Something worth mentioning for our MI members...

There is no LAW regarding OAL. Do the research - it ain't there. What causes us to be the ONLY STATE IN THE UNION that directly violates Federal Law (yup - violates: here, we can take a pistol based on an AK & turn it BACK to a rifle by flipping the folding stock) is the "opinion" of an AG that was tossed out of office years ago.

That said - none of us wants to be a test case. Again - NO MI law defines how OAL is to be measured.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Hotbarrel over at gunco will likely make you a tantal brake any length you want. He also makes standard and custom gas pistons.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts