AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wifey got me a CAI GP1975 for Christmas - I cleaned it well and finally got to take it to the range this week. I put around 40 rounds of Tula through it as well as around 80 rounds of CIA Red Army Standard - both were steel case. Mags were steel surplus (Yugo, I believe), and it ran flawlessly. No malfunctions or stoppages whatsoever.

However, when I got it home and started to field strip it, I could barely get the dust cover off. Had to use a rubber mallet just to ease the retaining button forward. Turns out the receiver and internals were covered with what appears to be metal shavings to the extent that they had jammed up the slot the dust cover retainer fits in. While I could see some wear in the contact points within the receiver & internals, I really don't see where such a volume of metal chips could come from. There was pitting on the rear the bolt and carrier from what I assume came from bolt carrier slamming the shavings against the rear of the receiver. My question is - has anyone else experienced this? Could the shavings actually be gunpowder or some other product of the steel case ammo? I didn't think to take pics before I'd cleaned most of the shavings out, but was able to get some photos of some shavings remaining in the receiver - I'll post these shortly. I'd greatly appreciate any advice or input!

·
Premium Member
13,390 Posts
I've seen metal shavings blown into the receiver through the gas tube. These are from drilling the hole from the gas block through the barrel. I have never seen as bad as you describe.
A recent thread did show unburned powder in a receiver which sounds more what you describe. Any pictures you have will help.

·
Premium Member
13,390 Posts
Will a magnet pick up any residue? How about the casings, any damage?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Looks like gun powder man..... My first range trip with new Romanian RPK (AES-10B) rusulted in the same exact thing after about 40 rounds of Tula....... I had a failure to feed and after charging two rounds manually and the bolt not closing all the way, I broke it down and found all the powder scattered through out the receiver and a bullet stuck in the throat of the chamber....... Yikes.....

I did not have a squib because the round discharged as normal..... The casing extracted and left the bullet in place. The primer was punctured..... I blamed it on the bunk ass Tula ammo.... Thank goodness that the round hadn't went down the pipe any further.... Or it would have been game over.... My immedite reaction when I removed dust cover was, metal shavings..... But it was gun powder...

Reactions: ellisoc6

·
Premium Member
13,390 Posts
Tula has been showing to have these problems lately. AKMaadi and you were both very lucky not to have been injured.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't see any damage to the casings, TRAAKS. Good idea on testing with a magnet - I will try that as soon as I get off work. If the shavings really are gunpowder rather than metal, this is the last time I'm shooting Tula in any of my guns. I just hope it wasn't the Red Army Standard, as I still have a 660 spam can of that.

Should I be worried about the pitting on the bolt and rear trunion?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Sure looks like the marks on the carrier and the rear trunnion line up.... Looks like the carrier is beating the hell out of the trunnion... Even the rear tang on the carrier look smashed up a bit.. If your carrier is slamming into the trunnion you either have a worn out recoil spring or over gassed rifle....

They say that the carrier and trunnion never fully touch on an AK on ejection but I never seen how that was true.... Maybe it is I just never investigated further....

·
Premium Member
13,390 Posts
I didn't see any damage to the casings, TRAAKS. Good idea on testing with a magnet - I will try that as soon as I get off work. If the shavings really are gunpowder rather than metal, this is the last time I'm shooting Tula in any of my guns. I just hope it wasn't the Red Army Standard, as I still have a 660 spam can of that.

Should I be worried about the pitting on the bolt and rear trunion?
Not to worry, an AK will take a heavy beating and work fine. They do have a appetite for cottage cheese, peanut butter and ham sandwiches though. Heres a little comic relief for you.

I would clean and inspect your rifle and go to range with the RAS ammo. Pop cover off after severel rds. and check carrier and rear trunnion for any contact.
I have had some AK's with similar issues but they never Failed To Fire. Just annoyed me through my headset.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the advice (and the awesome Carnik Con video), but it's back to the drawing board. The shavings/particles are in fact attracted to a magnet - so they're not comprised of gunpowder. I pulled the recoil spring out of the bolt carrier and there was quite a bit of the shavings in the head of that. I really don't see where all these shavings are coming from...what to do now??? Should she go back to CAI?
20140125_141502_LLS.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,328 Posts
Before I scrolled to your last post and seen your op rod spring, I was thinking you had debris in your carrier hole for the op rod spring.

My advice is to thoroughly clean everything to include the receiver and carrier op rod hole and go back for another range session. I think you just have a combination of usual carbon residue and some left over debris from the manufacturing process.

Hootbro

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Well if was me it would be going back...not sure why you cannot identify the source of the metal shavings??? Seems like a good amount of metal must be missing from somewhere!

·
Premium Member
13,390 Posts
BadBrad has a point. This much metal is missing from somewhere. Follow Hootbro's advice and throughly clean and blow out everything and head out again.
I would pop the top cover frequently for a look every 5 to 10 rds to find the source or determine build residue was the probblem. Let us know your findings.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'm not sure what all Century does to your particular gun when they build them but on my Century RPK, they had opened the mag well and left all the metal shavings inside the receiver.... I had chunks of metal all inside my receiver when I pulled it out the box.... So another possibility, just manufacturing debris that was never cleaned out....

I agree with the above advice. Clean out thouroughly and shoot it again to see if there is anymore after that.

·
Technical Advisor
16,056 Posts
A GP1975 has a USA receiver and non-chromelined USA barrel. There is no opening up of the mag well etc. It has dimples and full size well.
+1 to clean and range test again. The rear of the carrier hammer safety nub does look peened but that could be from the original rifle use vs current use.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've had the same exact issues with Tula as these other guys. Except I had two squibs and gun powder all in the receiver.

Hence, I won't run it anymore.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My Century WASR experienced the same problem though not nearly as bad. It appeared the shavings inside my ak came from the carrier rails. I got rid of it. I'm not an aksmith by any stretch of the imagination but I would not continue to shoot your rifle, it appears something is badly out of spec.

·
Technical Advisor
16,056 Posts
The metal could be from the build in drilling the rivet hole locations etc. Might not have been cleaned up after the build etc. Clean, and inspect for wear areas or binding., if acceptable., shoot and inspect again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts