AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I recently obtained a real Russian Izmash late 1990 (no mold number, strait edges, non ribbed, two holes in butt) 4.5mm folding stock and trunnion (demilled from a highly used deact) from a 1990 Izmash AKS-74 to use on my Rguns 1988 kit, but when i was drilling out the old rivet, i drilled the hole way off. it came out about 1/8th inch high on the opposite side. what i need is help with someone to maybe weld it up? I am thinking of setting a rivet in the misdrilled hole with a press, milling it flat with the trunnion, then welding over both sides of the rivet(s) old and new, then milling that flat, making starter holes with an end mill, then re drilling very very carefully. The only problem is, i don't have access to a mig welder with gas, or trust anyone local.

- Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Agreed, your only choice is to replace. Were you drilling it out with a hand drill or did your press shift that much?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
The through rivet? Or other?

If it's the through rivet hole, drill the hole a little oversized, use a rivet with an oversized body and longer length. You can shave down/form the rivet head to the correct size on a small lathe (ideal) or chuck it in your drill press and use a file to shape it. Squash it down nice and tight... if your rivet is long file/mill it down to fit on the flat side (folding latch side I believe). Or leave enough to form your round head. If your through hole is waaaay oversized... squash in your rivet in that hole sans receiver, re-drill your hole straight and to the correct size and create a sleeve.

If your talking the hole for a short rivet... weld it, re-drill and chamfer for your swell neck. Easy.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Btw, if you don't want that trunnion I'll happily take it and cover the cost of shipping. :D

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Pretty obvious it is the through rivet as he mentions "other side" and .125" off. That is a pretty bad "wandering" out of the rivet channel. I suppose you could try the welded up but unless you have the drill bits & reamers and can get the welding done pretty cheap.
It is time to search and pop for the $120 replacement trunnion. Sell the old for whatever you can get for it. IMHO.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Am I the only one that just removes the head, gets them started with an air hammer, and drives them out? I used to drill them but I must have gotten lazy. Long rivets anyway; I drill through the short ones.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Am I the only one that just removes the head, gets them started with an air hammer, and drives them out? I used to drill them but I must have gotten lazy. Long rivets anyway; I drill through the short ones.
I just drill the head out down to the countersink and hulk smash with a mini sledge.

Any time the air tools come out things get mangled. What kind of punch do you use in the air hammer?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I just drill the head out down to the countersink and hulk smash with a mini sledge.

Any time the air tools come out things get mangled. What kind of punch do you use in the air hammer?
A pointy one that's probably older than I am with the trunnion viced and me getting good stance over it. I use a 3lb sledge after it starts to move. My previous "lazy" method was drilling part way, inserting punch of same diameter of drilled hole, and 3lb sledging it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts