AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys she's finished.

I will say one thing though. Anyone who says AR's go together easily are only half right. I will say the fun began when we tried to knock the roll pin out for the gas tube. In the end we had to drill it out and put in a replacement. Then the Gas tube came out which while it did come out was stuck in there pretty good. Turns out the LE that had the upper on a full auto gun had fun but didn't clean it and it had years of powder residue that was acting like locktite

Got the tube out and gave it a good clean and after that she went together smooth. Changed out the SP1 upper receiver for a M16A1 upper I got from Apex a few days ago. The finish match is really nice. So it's a mid 70's M16A1 build on a Nodak receiver along with a CMP barrel.

I am so happy to have this one off the list of must haves. Honestly though if my dad were still around he'd probably say...."So No M14 then?!"

photo83_zps9289b95f.jpg photo82_zpsc22f0c9e.jpg

·
Super Moderator
25,763 Posts
Nice!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
i need advice on how to add age and patina on my brand new lower prior to adding paint wear to get it to look right. ive got the same configuration i want to turn into a battlefield used rifle and ive got everything figured out how to antique the philipino Mindanao war bringback stickers. even found some yellow tape that looks pre aged. my upper is original intact barrel bringback and totally beat up and carved on and repainted and my lower is brand new. my lower parts kit externals are weathered too so im very excited about figuring out how to do my first bfpu m16a1 clone build. ive been shooting the rifle a while now and a few months ago took pics while overseas of some really worn m16a1s so needless to say i have rekindled interest in making this bad boy look more original now. i even brought back a couple uniforms from a philipine army officer on base to go with the rifle when on display. have an isreali bringback acog beat to hell too to go on top of it all when im done if i feel the need. if there is a thread im not finding on how to add age to aluminum lowers im not seeing it.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
i had no idea there was an ar15 section by the way lol! nice build!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Cool gun. I'm having my NDS-16A1 lower being engraved at Ident Marking right now they're puting all the Vietnam era Colt markings on it. I should have it in a month or so in exited for it:grin:

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
i need advice on how to add age and patina on my brand new lower prior to adding paint wear to get it to look right. ive got the same configuration i want to turn into a battlefield used rifle and ive got everything figured out how to antique the philipino Mindanao war bringback stickers. even found some yellow tape that looks pre aged. my upper is original intact barrel bringback and totally beat up and carved on and repainted and my lower is brand new. my lower parts kit externals are weathered too so im very excited about figuring out how to do my first bfpu m16a1 clone build. ive been shooting the rifle a while now and a few months ago took pics while overseas of some really worn m16a1s so needless to say i have rekindled interest in making this bad boy look more original now. i even brought back a couple uniforms from a philipine army officer on base to go with the rifle when on display. have an isreali bringback acog beat to hell too to go on top of it all when im done if i feel the need. if there is a thread im not finding on how to add age to aluminum lowers im not seeing it.
I would think you could emulate the look of a well used Elisco A1 with a green scrubber pad and some elbow grease. There are some great bfpu pictures of A1's on AR15.com in the retro and Isreali sections, and some youtube vids where people describe recreating the look.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
awesome sd01! im checking it out. what do I type in to find it on youtube?

·
Super Moderator
25,763 Posts
"Retro" Colt 653 IDF - Completed:

Pretty basic, but it should be something to build on.
Nicely done, and you did a great job of giving it that distressed look too!:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts