Matching: top cover, bolt and carrier, selector lever
Furniture is excellent
Overall very pleased, thank you, Apex

Click for large image

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surprised to see there isn't a arsenal marking on the trunnion. Guess they stopped that late 80's early 90's?
Changes took place after the '89 Revolution and the arsenal mark may have been one of them. I honestly do not know.

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One item that has me puzzled is the coloring of the pistol grip. I have seen similar on Polish grips but not on Romanian. Any thoughts?

MD 90 Pistol Grip 001.JPG MD 90 Pistol Grip 004.JPG

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Good looking kit though. I'm starting the fight to demill the M70B1 I got from them, I'd still like to get one of these down the road.
Pricing is as good as I have seen since panic. Don't know how long these will last. Apex said any AK part sets are being grabbed up fast.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I remember reading a discussion before about the colors of the PG's. I believe it said the Romanians switched from the maroon color later in production to the orangish like the Poles, but the inverted checkering on the grips didn't change, that's how you can tell the difference between them. The diamonds pattern on the Romanians are sunk, Poles aren't.

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I remember reading a discussion before about the colors of the PG's. I believe it said the Romanians switched from the maroon color later in production to the orangish like the Poles, but the inverted checkering on the grips didn't change, that's how you can tell the difference between them. The diamonds pattern on the Romanians are sunk, Poles aren't.

Thank you. Any idea as to what year the coloring change took place?

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like an arsenal revamping took place after '89 when the new administration came into power. New looks and a few deletes..

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Looks like an arsenal revamping took place after '89 when the new administration came into power. New looks and a few deletes..

That is correct.

The majority of these kits will have 1991 - 1995 dates. Some will not have dates but the prefixes will match other rifles in the same prefix run that do have a date.

Some trunions will look like they were scrubbed and a new number applied, others will have the date code cast into the trunnion before it was numbered. In either case white paint was applied to the numbered trunnions when the rifles were new.

Orange pistol grip and orange colored shellac is normal for the time period.

Some front handguards will have numbers and some won't.

Correct selector markings will be S A R.

Dark green and light green nylon slings were the slings most often shipped with these. Bayonets were electro-engraved to match but still had bakelite handles at least through 1994.

If you search my posts in the Romanian forum you'll find a lot of my research on late M65 nad md90 rifles. I also have posted photos of these rifles in Croatian hands in one of the stickied Romanian photo threads. I'll be posting more photos when time allows and my understanding of this new forum format increases - I haven't had time for a learning curve lately.

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/28-romanian/45386-official-romanian-7-62x39-ak47-action-thread-7.html

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/28-romanian/130896-post-1990-romanian-underfolder-md90-md65.html

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/28-romanian/145462-early-late-parts-comparison-3.html

Nice to see your kit matches - the ones imported a few years ago were just a jumble of parts. I was able to get two sets of matching trunnion/bolt/carrier out of that batch and it wasn't easy. I wish all importers made the effort to keep the numbers together. Tempted to order one so I can have matching everything, but that is always a $300 gamble.

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excellent and thank you..I will be lost for a while reading your information. I have several examples of the slings and will incorporate the SAR markings on the receiver. The one remaining Romanian barrel
I have and a NDS-1 receiver will be used for the build. I was interested in the gray leather Romanian slings that Apex has. A few pics exist from the '89 revolution showing them in use but I am not
sure if approiate for this build. Either way it should be a beauty when finished. Thanks again...

·
Technical Advisor
15,512 Posts
One item that has me puzzled is the coloring of the pistol grip. I have seen similar on Polish grips but not on Romanian. Any thoughts?

View attachment 747 View attachment 748
Later Romanian AKM's like the model Md86., Md90 and Md97 were all the amber colored pistol grip and lighter wood furniture. Md90 had no arsenal marked trunnion.
I see the kit has the early pushbutton folder. the later had a sleeved arm on the buttstock at the pivot area vs the welded on your kit.

I thought the S, A, R selector marks were export vs the S, FA, FF for domestic military until the Md97 with burst., 1, 3 infinity ????.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
I thought the S, A, R selector marks were export vs the S, FA, FF for domestic military until the Md97 with burst., 1, 3 infinity ????.

I've got pics of German deacts as well as deacts from other parts of Europe - apparently those Md90s shipped to Croatia were marked S A R. I have some good photos - just don't have time to work up the post right now. Page 7 of the Romy's in action photo thread I posted a clear image of a Croat soldier with an S A R marked receiver. It woud surprise me if these kits came from somewhere other than Croatia, hence my S A R claim.

·
Technical Advisor
15,512 Posts
I Thought the exports were normally palmswell forward lowers vs the dong on the domestic milspec., and the lever folder for export vs the push button.
Much like the MarcolMar Md86 kits from a few years ago., typical export palmswell lower, lever folding stock vs pushbutton etc
As an export it is possible that a number of "domestic milspec" Romanian domestic firearms may have moved to the Balkans before the Romanians signed the Wassenaar Arrangement in 1996. Dunno.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
I uploaded it full size. Modern camo pattern Croat chick with S A R marked Md90. The Croats seem to have neatly cut off all the dong handguards on Md90's still used for training, but the rest of the rifle seems to be unchanged.

Note the curvature of the S and the welds - different than the Egyptian Export S A R font and welds.

·
Technical Advisor
15,512 Posts
Well yes., SAR as export. I suppose it depends on what clone is being made.., Romy domestic or export clone etc. These kits appear to have domestic Romanian milspec features regardless of final import country. No big deal just what one is building. At least that is what I have noted. I could be totally mistaken too.:)
Cannot tell for certain but the woman looks to have a lever folder.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was looking closer at the pistol grip from my kit today and found that "Dominko" was carved upside down near the top. I searched the name and found it to be a Croatian male's first name...so these must have been exported right?

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
I was looking closer at the pistol grip from my kit today and found that "Dominko" was carved upside down near the top. I searched the name and found it to be a Croatian male's first name...so these must have been exported right?
I think it is pretty safe to say that most every Md90 Romanian kit in the US was sourced from the Balkans and of those I bet most were specifically from Croatia. They were made in Romanian and ended up in Croatia during their Homeland War.

A LOT of the AK kits in the US are from that conflict.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think it is pretty safe to say that most every Md90 Romanian kit in the US was sourced from the Balkans and of those I bet most were specifically from Croatia. They were made in Romanian and ended up in Croatia during their Homeland War.

A LOT of the AK kits in the US are from that conflict.
I have an M70 kit that was in the middle of it for sure. Rough with lots of trench art and 90210 stickers. Those war veteran kits are some of the coolest! These Md90 kits seem to be in pretty good shape though...I'm very pleased with mine

1 - 20 of 29 Posts