AK Rifles banner

What should I get?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
I'm looking for some advise so I can clarify some choices keeping me up at night.

I am not looking to get the AIMS74 since it runs in the "74" caliber. A lot more difficult to obtain than the old 7.62x39.

Clone and authenticity never went together so well in the same sentence ever. I know.
Yes, I know the difference between the Md.86 and Md.90 (long), however they look pretty identical except for the muzzle brake.

What is the consensus on the "authenticity" of a clone in 7.62x39?

WASR10 can accept all the furniture necessary to look the part, but it lack the receiver dimples. It has a Romanian receiver and barrel.
The DIY Md.63 (barreled receiver) kit at Atlantic looks good with those dimples and it has a battlefield pick-up look, but the receiver and barrel are US made. Non chrome lined.

In theory I can have com-block mags with the barreled receiver according to the 922r crap, not so much with the WASR variant.
Both can accept Romanian furniture as the other parts meet the minimum parts requirement. The follower and floorplate might need to be replaced with US made ones, so the mags will not be a hinderance.

To summarize:
- Romanian made but esthetically incorrect
- US made and esthetically correct

·
Banned
229 Posts
How much do you plan on shooting it?

Not sure what barrel atlantic is using but most US made barrels will hold up to the average shooter. Plus seems if your worried about 922r wouldnt be a bad way to build your clone no worries of the ATF shooting your dog

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a lot of shooting. Below average.

So you tend to go the esthetics way rather than where individual parts were made.

Atlantic says 4150 V Nitride treated threaded barrel
It doesn't say much.

As far as 922r goes, a WASR uses more foreign parts than the Atlantic DIY kit and it's still compliant.

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 9.01.41 PM.png

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
I shoot at a below-average rate, too. A thousand round tin of 5.45 lasts a good, long time for me.

If I were in your shoes I'd get the AIMS-74 and put up two or three cans of ammo for the future.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Having had Md90 kits since about 2012 I'd go that route.

Midway still has kits. I think Centerfire does as well.

Obtain a genuine Romanian barrel. The newest ones that are available from COGUNSALES aka M&M have the feed ramp cut that Romania started using in the early 1990's - for sure by 1994.

Have the kit populated.

Obtain a Recreator receiver with S A R markings and have it built or build it yourself.

922R would be receiver, FCG, gas piston and muzzle nut.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Why bother with any of that?

Look for a SAR-1, or a WUM1, Romak1, etc. They all have Romanian receivers w/dimples, barrels, rivet work, etc.

20170602_121111-1_1.JPG

The top one is a Cugir Romak1. The bottom is a Sadu made WUM1. I used the original stock sets, and both are 922r compliant with a trigger group, gas piston, follower, and mag floor plate.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Two great advises right there.
I think buying one would be a less expensive proposition.
The Md.90 kit is $300, $150 for the barrel, $70 - $85 for the receiver, plus an unknown (to me) amount for the build (either by buying the tools, or having someone build it for me).

I get the idea that using the WASR as the basis for the build is not a desirable one.
I'll see if there are any Romak/WUM/SAR for sale for an idea about the prices nowadays and compare that to the Atlantic DIY they sell.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Two great advises right there.
I think buying one would be a less expensive proposition.
The Md.90 kit is $300, $150 for the barrel, $70 - $85 for the receiver, plus an unknown (to me) amount for the build (either by buying the tools, or having someone build it for me).

I get the idea that using the WASR as the basis for the build is not a desirable one.
I'll see if there are any Romak/WUM/SAR for sale for an idea about the prices nowadays and compare that to the Atlantic DIY they sell.
It will average about the same.

The SAR1s are the better choice, savings wise. They were already 922r compliant. But have tacky solid wood furniture, and a generic black US pistol grip. But the earlier Romaks, WUMs, etc are better quality. Street price on one will average between 6-800.

Considering the price of a kit, barrel, receiver, 922r parts and another $400 (ballpark minimum) to have a build and refinished by a reputable builder, and you are not really saving anything by doing a build.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the AK74 platform hated because of the low availability of ammo and high magazine prices?
AIMS74 is approaching Arsenal in prices.

Even I prefer the look of the AIMS74 but chambered in 7.62 or even 5.56.

That's why even on a Md.86/90 (yes different calibers) clone I would attach the ak74 style muzzle brake via CNC warrior adapter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts