AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is one looked upon by the ATF? Are the holster/stocks legal if it came with the pistol?

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Only if its an original stock. Repros are no go. The same goes for the BHP.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, how can I tell?

My LGS just took in trade a C96 in 7.63 overall the gun looks good, not new but not worn...like its see a some use early on, maybe, but spent majority of its life in a safe. Barrel is clean and kinda bright (not the greatest lighting in the store). Im guessing it has a 5in barrel. I cant tell if its been reblued Also comes with a wooden holster/stock with leather straps. Dont know if its original or not. Again seems used but not beat up.

1) I assume the stock is legal maybe grandfathered in. The LGS has been in business for a long time and in the same family and they do things by the book. The family also owns a local farm. They don't deal in NFA firearms, so for them to take it it would have to be legit.......right?

2) what would it be worth? I know its hard to say without pics but generally whats a reasonable price? I know they payed $1200 but dont know how much it will be going for sale.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
I'm not an expert on the 96 series, so I would PM frenchy about this one. He should be able to tell you about originality.

·
Registered
419 Posts
As Joe stated original stocks are good to go, Broomhandles, Lugers, BHP, etc. With that said it's pretty hard to tell some of the C96 stocks, they weren't well marked at all. The last original stock I saw for C96 was around $1600 by its self.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
the odds of the stock being original are pretty low as tons of repros flooded the marked. however proving one is a repro or original can be nearly impossible if the repro is good. now im not an expert but ive looked over many C96 mausers as its been my favorit pistol since i first saw star wars. the gun would have to be in VERY good condition for me to pay more then $1200 for it. ive seen plenty of C96 mausers with repro stocks go for around $1200-$1400 when they were in very good+ condition. mint mausers with original stocks easily fetch $1600+ but you need some solid proof its the original stock.

as a disclaimer, my prices might be a bit dated i havent looked at mausers in about a year.

-matt

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Arik said:
How is one looked upon by the ATF? Are the holster/stocks legal if it came with the pistol?
:smile: Well I have owned/own my fair share of C96 over the yrs.,The original shoulder stocks are very easy to know over any repro that I have ever seen,The inside finish of the wood on the original German/Spanish made stocks are all very clean cuts,Done by wood cutting machines,And a nice out side finish as well,Some comercail stocks have the Mauser Banner stamped on the stocks as well(Model 30-C96)The new Chinese that were imported were mostly hand cut finishing work--Not so well done,Now WW1 German made Mauser(C96) had the last 3 or 4 digits of the serial numbers stamp on the top of the locking lugs.That was also done prior to WW1,As Mauser was trying to sell his pistols all over the world.Some were imported into the US of A by different Co. with there Co.names stamped on the mag well,As well as the side plates--The ATF,after many yrs. of denial finally ok the stock for those and the pistol to be removed from the NFA act..Now if you do "harpoon" this pistol,Before you ever fire it--REPLACE THE RECOIL SPRING--Set the original one a side for the die hard collector who even wants the original closet dust on it.That spring has been compressed longer then you have been breathing new world air..So it has lost a lot of its springing power.I use Wolff springs out of the great state of Pa. :allright:Now on the Chinese stocks that sell for a few $$$-I believe at first they were made as replacements for the original stocks that got broken over the yrs.Only a few Chinese that I seen were made as nice as the original German or Spanish made stocks(ASTRA)--Most were made by local wood hackers of small villages,But they do work and some even lock up correctly.Years back when a few Co. imported a bunch of early C96 from China,Most were pretty beat,Some were very nice,Some showed Chinese markings that were stamped on in Germany for China-Just before WW2 got rolling,Germany stop importing the C96 to China,As they were Allied to Japan.--Ok before I continue my rant,,DO NOT SHOOT any Polish,Romanian,Chines made 7.62x25 out of a C96,,It just might cause your new bought iron to self destruct,That ammo is way to hot for the C96,,That ammo is made for the Toks,and sub-guns,,Just brake down and buy some new made 7.63x25 Fiocci --Works for me--Ok now in the total end of my rant!!! The shoulder stock for the C96 and the pistol, is legal to own according to the ATF..Some towns or counties may have there own set of rules. :nutkick: ..Send a picture--My best Frenchy :allright:

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Frenchy, but its been sold already. Some 93 yr old guy bought it for $1800. The store said the S# range put it in 1914. I don't know if the stock was original or not

1 - 9 of 9 Posts