AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a Kalashnikov Bayonet collector. I have noticed the "sticky" above matching PSL rifles to magazines. Has anyone ever considered trying to match up rifles to bayonets? I am currently working on a project to document the Romanian PSL bayonets and scabbards. The bayonets and scabbards are physically the same as the AKM bayonets, but have the same single letter code as the PSL rifles they were issued with. I am interested in confirming availability and dating of these bayonets. I need to confirm a year date for the "G" code. Also need confirmation / pictures of bayonets with letter codes; D, H, M, N, P, AND R. Eventually I would like to have one representative example of each letter code for my collection. Is anyone else interested in buying, selling, or trading PSL bayonets? Mr. B.

I have confirmed or own the following PSL bayonets with serial numbers:
C 4081
E 9280
F 8435
G 1528, G 1741
K 3212
L 3264, L 4822

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Honestly in this day and age you are doing good just to SEE a bayonet with a PSL serial number on it.

There are NOS bayonets with no numbers out there. I don't know if they are still easy to find.

Reactions: JeepFan and Mr. B.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Customarily Bayonets are never matched to the rifle. They are numbered at the manufacturers factory long before they see a weapon to be mounted on.

Reactions: Mr. B.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Honestly in this day and age you are doing good just to SEE a bayonet with a PSL serial number on it.

There are NOS bayonets with no numbers out there. I don't know if they are still easy to find.
Actually there are a few PSL bayonets that turn up on various sites. There have been 4-5 on eBay in the last few months. They are usually mixed in with the standard Romy ones when dealers have quantities of them. Most people don't recognize them for what they are. Quite a few are also in bayonet collections because they are different and not in reference books. I had friend that bought a group 20-30 Romys for under $16. each from a surplus dealer, 4 were PLS, he had no idea what they were.

The un-numbered bayonets and scabbards are over-runs that were kept in reserve and never issued. Most of them were made for use as replacements for lost or damaged items. They unused ones were released along with the issued and reworked ones when obsolete. The bayonets with the hand etched numbers are all reworked and/or re-issued. Mr. B

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Customarily Bayonets are never matched to the rifle. They are numbered at the manufacturers factory long before they see a weapon to be mounted on.
This is not true for Kalashnikov bayonets. Almost all the Kalashnikov bayonets are numbered to and issued with a bayonet. The numbers are usually the last 4 or 5 numbers of the rifles serial number they are accepted and issued with. They are often manufactured in the same arsenals under the same orders at the same times. They are shipped from the manufactures in the same cases with the rifles. This is true of almost all ComBloc countries except China.

This is especially true of the Romanian Bayonets and scabbards. They are one of the few countries that use letters and numbers that allows you to match a number not only to a rifle but also to a production order. Since the rifles have a year of production with their complete serial number enabling us to date the bayonets issued with them. The PSL rifle was a special limited quantity item with unique numbers and issued with matching numbered accessories including scopes, even magazines and bayonets. The bayonets and scabbard were the same physically as other standard AKM bayonets. Only the unique numbers, (one letter and 4 digits) identified them as PLS bayonets. Mr. B.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I always learn something new here. It would be cool if this thread got a a match. In for the results and off to check my Romanian bayonets.

·
Registered
592 Posts
What is the difference ? I did not realize there was one. Have any Photos?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Romanian AKM production began in 1963 with a two letter code as part of the serial number, (AB 0000). The earliest I have record of is AB. They did not necessarily follow our alphabet in assigning the letters. All parts of the rifle used the last four numbers of the serial. The bayonets and scabbards used the matching two letters and the last four numbers. Starting in 1980 it seems they ran out of two letter combinations and started over but added an S prefix to the letters, (SAB 0000). Therefor having three letters and 4 digits on the matching bayonets and scabbards. Beginning in 1987 the first letter was changed to an A, (AAB 0000). These changes may also coincide with the production changes in the AKM Models. Starting with the PM Md.63 and PM Md.63/65 to the PM Md.80 & 90. The PSL was a completely different rifle and it was assigned a single letter code beginning with C in 1974, (C 0000). Bayonets and scabbards with single letter codes were issued with PSL rifles. Picture examples to follow. Mr. B.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If that is the case would be interesting to start a reunification bayonet thread.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
This is not true for Kalashnikov bayonets. Almost all the Kalashnikov bayonets are numbered to and issued with a bayonet. The numbers are usually the last 4 or 5 numbers of the rifles serial number they are accepted and issued with. They are often manufactured in the same arsenals under the same orders at the same times. They are shipped from the manufactures in the same cases with the rifles. This is true of almost all ComBloc countries except China.

This is especially true of the Romanian Bayonets and scabbards. They are one of the few countries that use letters and numbers that allows you to match a number not only to a rifle but also to a production order. Since the rifles have a year of production with their complete serial number enabling us to date the bayonets issued with them. The PSL rifle was a special limited quantity item with unique numbers and issued with matching numbered accessories including scopes, even magazines and bayonets. The bayonets and scabbard were the same physically as other standard AKM bayonets. Only the unique numbers, (one letter and 4 digits) identified them as PLS bayonets. Mr. B.
I have Chinese AKs with matching numbered bayonets (both stamped numbers and electro-penciled). These were preban semi-autos of various models. Do you mean the Chinese military full autos?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I have F-6512 in case someone is looking for a match. :) I need L-6203.
IMG_0866.JPG

Reactions: Mr. B. and MPiKM-72

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I have Chinese AKs with matching numbered bayonets (both stamped numbers and electro-penciled). These were preban semi-autos of various models. Do you mean the Chinese military full autos?
Correct. Sometimes serial numbers were added to the bayonets on commercial models for import/export. Sometimes in China, sometimes here. This may have been done to meet rules or regulations or even customer expectations!? Mr. B.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I always learn something new here. It would be cool if this thread got a a match. In for the results and off to check my Romanian bayonets.
I believe the odds of a complete match up would be astronomical. I think just matching up a certain letter code, (year), would be difficult enough. As an AK bayonet collector, I started out wanting one PSL bayonet to display in my collection. I have owed 7 different ones over the years, now only own 4. Over the years I have traded, sold or given away the others.

Now collecting AK Bayonets in general has slowed down and I'm curious to learn more about them. How many code letters were possible and maybe try to own one of each. A small short time detailed sub-collection? Collectors can be very anal!? Mr. B.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Do you know anything about NDM-86 bayonets? Specifically if there were every black ones originally sold with the rifles? My NDM-86 came with a bayonet that has a black handle and scabbard. I suspect it's just a regular Chinese AK bayonet that was just added by the dealer in the US but I've always wondered. It does have an unusually marked belt clip that I've never seen on an AK bayonet before.

Edit:
Here's a photo of the belt clip and bayonet:
IMG_0868.JPG
IMG_0867.JPG

Is the "CS" for China Sports?

Reactions: MPiKM-72 and Mr. B.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
I'm convinced that the Romanian factory worker assigned to electro pen marking the rear sight leaf with the serial number was also assigned the task of applying the serial to a bayonet with the same electro pen.

The font on those two Romanian parts always matches.

I believe the bayonet would have been placed in the same crate with the rifle it was numbered to match. What happened after the crate was opened is anyone's guess.

Sadu bayonets and a Sadu rear sight from the internet.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you know anything about NDM-86 bayonets? Specifically if there were every black ones originally sold with the rifles? My NDM-86 came with a bayonet that has a black handle and scabbard. I suspect it's just a regular Chinese AK bayonet that was just added by the dealer in the US but I've always wondered. It does have an unusually marked belt clip that I've never seen on an AK bayonet before.

Edit:
Here's a photo of the belt clip and bayonet:
View attachment 292619
View attachment 292623

Is the "CS" for China Sports?
To answer your questions. Yes, I do. No, they didn't. The NDM-86 bayonets and scabbards were wire cutters and almost identical to Russian AKM 6X4 Type II bayonets. The black non-wirecutter shown is one of the many variations made up by various civilian contractors for the Chinese commercial AKM export models being made up for the U.S. market. Same goes for the worthless belt clips, Some packaged and sold with the rifles other sold individually. Let's remember this topic is about Romanian PSL rifles and bayonets.
Check out the Chinese bayonets here: China - Kalashnikov Bayonets of the World Mr.B.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What is the difference ? I did not realize there was one. Have any Photos?
Below is a group picture containing a 2 letter early AKM bayonet and scabbard, a 3 letter later AKM bayonet, plus four single letter PSL bayonets and scabbards for comparison. The bayonets and scabbards are all basically the same. One has different color grip panels which is just incidental. They all have variations in hangers and rubber insulators, again incidental as they are easily exchanged accessories. Remaining pictures are closeups of the engraved serial numbers. Mr. B.
Romanian PSL and AKM bayonet comparison 1.jpg Romanian AKM 6X3 Type I bayonet and scabbard  1 (2).jpg Romanian AKM 6X3 Type I bayonet and scabbard  2 (2).jpg Romanian PSL C 4098 1.jpg Romanian PSL E 9280 1.jpg

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are a couple more PSL bayonet and scabbards from my collection. Looks like I have two with the "L" code. Mr.B.
Romanian PSL l 3264 1.jpg Romanian PSL l 4822 1.jpg

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm convinced that the Romanian factory worker assigned to electro pen marking the rear sight leaf with the serial number was also assigned the task of applying the serial to a bayonet with the same electro pen.

The font on those two Romanian parts always matches.

I believe the bayonet would have been placed in the same crate with the rifle it was numbered to match. What happened after the crate was opened is anyone's guess.

Sadu bayonets and a Sadu rear sight from the internet.

Very interesting! I was not aware of the serial numbers under the rear sight blade matching the bayonets. I don't have much detailed about the rifles, just the bayonets. I knew there were 2-3 different manufactures of the Romy AKMs. I always thought that Cugir arsenal made all the bayonets. How do identify Sadu vs Cugir bayonets? This brings up another important question. Which manufacture produced the PSL rifles? Thanks, Mr. B.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts