AK Rifles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my M70B1 kit from Apex today, and while looking the whole thing over I noticed there's sets of matching electropenciled numbers on some parts that are different than the stamped matching numbers. A lot of Yugo kits I've seen online are the same way. Any ideas as to why this is? The kit was a excellent condition one and looks like it wasn't even issued before being demilled.

·
Super Moderator
26,347 Posts
Pretty much all the Yugo kits are like this. Apparently there was a "factory serial number", the one engraved in the trunnion or side of front receiver that starts with a letter indicating year of build. And there was also a "service serial number" engraved on the top of the trunnion and other places that was a sort of administrative number assigned by the military.
This is my understanding as well. If you look around in the SKS section, I posted some pics of a new un-issued Yugo SKS with the same kind of numbers. Apparently, the Yugoslavians applied these numbers during the assembly process to keep all the fitted components together.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. I've always heard people say how different the Yugo rifle are, but this was my first time actually handling one (or parts of) other than the OPAP at the gun show that still Had a cord running through it. I've already discovered how much more of a PITA trying to demill it is thanks to the thicker receiver.

·
Super Moderator
26,347 Posts
They make some of the best AKs IMO. Solid and well built, and with a good barrel and ammo, accurate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts