AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. About to throw together an M70AB2. I have 2 surplus barrels that pass bullet test...one is actually close to new barrel spec at muzzle with a pretty decent bore...but I do not have the equipment/skill to weld up the barrel cut.

My plan is to use one of the new in white barrels I received from Apex circa 2016. I believe they came with the milled M70AB kits. Searching their site it appears they either came from Green Mountain or AK builder, but the ads do not specify IF they are even the same ad 4 years later.

Any input? Thanks!!

·
Technical Advisor
15,343 Posts
Have you pressed in either barrel to see if they align in the trunnion on the pin channel and headspace?

If the above does not align., second choice can be an oversize barrel pin.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you pressed in either barrel to see if they align in the trunnion on the pin channel and headspace?

If the above does not align., second choice can be an oversize barrel pin.
Ya that is obviously my first step. Going to try pressing and headspacig this weekend.

just digging for info in the event that is not realistic. Not sure I will be able to find someone locally who can weld the barrel cut properly if I even want to do that way. Also do not have an endmill that can cut a weld easily.

·
Technical Advisor
15,343 Posts
There is no welding necessary.
Not sure what you are referencing.

A barrel can often press into a non matching trunnion and align with the barrel pin and good to go.

Option 2 is an oversized barrel pin and drill bit. Reamer is optional.

Welding the pin channel would be option 3 or 4 with a US barrel being one of those two options.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the surplus barrel I headspaced on a milled kit was definitely not within the range where I would feel comfortable using an oversized pin.

That being said I agree and my plan is exactly as you described.

Any inut on the barrel manufacturer for 2016 era Apex US Yugo barrels?

·
Technical Advisor
15,343 Posts
dunno on the barrels but AKBuilderand Green Mountain are good to go.
I have used both types.

The Century B1, B2 and B2T, builds are Green Mountain with very good feedback as well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well its going to be close. One barrel is a no go.

The better barrel definitely needs a bigger pin..do not have a pin gauge but the calipers say I am going to be right about .030 over.

Maybe a touch more if I tighten up the headspace, but it was also canted a degree or 2 so that could make a couple thou difference as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts