AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read this and was suprised that they got the details on the rifle correct! Guy was stupid to not check the chamber! :neutral:

TWIN FALLS – Twin Falls Police are investigating a shooting incident last night that left one woman injured.

It happened at 8:38 p.m. Tuesday at 1050 Sparks Street in Twin Falls.

Officers responded to the residence after the caller said he accidentally shot his girlfriend.

Jeremy Langley, 26, told detectives he was disassembling a rifle in his living room when it accidentally discharged. The bullet went through a wall and struck Kaylie Pomrenke, 23, who was in the back bedroom.

She was rushed to St. Luke’s Magic Valley Regional Medical Center and is currently in fair condition.

At this point investigators believe the shooting was accidental. Langley is fully cooperating with the investigation.

The rifle was seized as evidence and is a Russian made Mosin Nagant rifle.

“Accidents with firearms are entirely preventable if the cardinal rule of firearms safety is always followed. The rule is never attempt to clean or perform maintenance on a loaded firearm,” said Twin Falls Police Sgt. Mark Marvin.

No charges have been filed at this time.

·
Registered
495 Posts
A 91/30? Good lord, that was definitely a negligent discharge. I have 3 and it takes some serious cranial-rectal inversion to have an AD with one.

Hope the girlfriend makes it. That's no wussy caliber she got shot with.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
thats going to be an akward conversation with her family

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I wonder if alcohol was involved? When I was in school a few years back one of the students shoot himself twice in a matter of seconds (after consuming a vey lage quantity of alcohol) he was showing off with a .22 to his girlfriend at his apartment and rammed the pistol in his belt behind his back and kapowiee! right in the butt cheek than he whipped it out realizing he had made a most poor decision then shot himself in the thigh-go figure.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
AZ_BuickGuy said:
A 91/30? Good lord, that was definitely a negligent discharge. I have 3 and it takes some serious cranial-rectal inversion to have an AD with one.

Hope the girlfriend makes it. That's no wussy caliber she got shot with.

Most of the ammo available is basic FMJ surplus. Assuming it is and she got hit from close range and the bullet just went through drywall (not studs or hard material that could significantly destabilize it), it likely didn't do much damage, just poked a hole.

Regardless, I feel sorry for her being with an idiot.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
fmj or not, 7.62x54 is not a round that i would want to be shot with......

i have a question, if he was dissasembling the rifle.....how did he have a negligant discharge? its not like it takes a rocket scientist to take apart a nagant......

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
prdtr86 said:

i have a question, if he was dissasembling the rifle.....how did he have a negligant discharge? its not like it takes a rocket scientist to take apart a nagant......
Who knows how far into the disassembly he was, but im guessing the first thing he did was finger fuck the trigger.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
violated every rule of gun safety that i can think of....first thing i do when i pick up a gun is check to see if it is loaded or not......dont matter if im playing with one of the guns at home or if im checking out a gun at a gunshop, first thing i do is open the action and verify that it is unloaded...

·
Registered
173 Posts
WarBaby said:
Negligent discharge. When it comes to firearms, there are no accidents.
what about that MRI discharge that should be a AD, not a ND. BUt for the most part you are right.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
dagamore said:
WarBaby said:
Negligent discharge. When it comes to firearms, there are no accidents.
what about that MRI discharge that should be a AD, not a ND. BUt for the most part you are right.
ND,.. you are told not to bring any metal or anything metalic into a MRI,. a pistol is a machined chunk of metal yes?

as to getting shot with a x54R,.. yeah screw that.

hope she come thru it all ok.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
prdtr86 said:

Maybe I'm weird, but I'd rather not be shot at all... :lol:

If I had no choice though, I'd prefer a round that punches a hole straight through than one that releases most of its energy into my soft body tissues. I'd rather a FMJ 7.62x54R than a 8M3 7.62x39mm, for example.

I don't know, but who thinks there was either alcohol or anger involved? The first step to disassembling a MN is to remove the bolt, which involves making the weapon inoperable...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yes that's NOT an accident, an accidential discharge example, you are sitting in a tree stand Deer hunting and you lose your balance and the rifle falls to the ground discharges and shots you.

If you pick up a rifle and pull the trigger that's NOT an AD, you are just tooo stupid to be handling a rifle.

I would bet that relationship is over or he will be her slave for LIFE.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
Most of the ammo available is basic FMJ surplus. Assuming it is and she got hit from close range and the bullet just went through drywall (not studs or hard material that could significantly destabilize it), it likely didn't do much damage, just poked a hole.
Dude, I love these posts - just a minor flesh wound! :lol:

What about cartilage, bones, organs, and other silly things inside humans...

M_P

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
modern_pirate said:
[quote="Q-gunner2":20sv80v0]Most of the ammo available is basic FMJ surplus. Assuming it is and she got hit from close range and the bullet just went through drywall (not studs or hard material that could significantly destabilize it), it likely didn't do much damage, just poked a hole.
Dude, I love these posts - just a minor flesh wound! :lol:

What about cartilage, bones, organs, and other silly things inside humans...

M_P[/quote:20sv80v0]

Cartilage will tear, which surgery can patch up. Organs can heal. It obviously wasn't too bad (I.E. the heart, an artery, etc) because she made it to the hospital. You have these miraculous things in your body called platelets, and assisted by fibrinogen being broken down to fibrin, it makes a nifty thing called a clot. Yes, even in gunshot wounds.

The bigger the hole, the harder it is to repair. Which makes a bigger hole, a FMJ or a HP? Second question, which is more likely to make a bigger hole? 7.62x39mm or 7.62x54mmR? The answer is 7.62x39mm. The bullet has less energy and will yaw faster traveling through tissue as it is easier to destabilize. Check out the ballistics charts done on the 5.56, 5.45 and 7.62x51mm. Which one gets a bigger hole, faster? The weaker rounds, because they destabilize and yaw and release more of their energy into the tissues. This is the same reason why people go, "OMFG YES YES YES YES YUGOSLAVIAN SURPLUS 7.62x39mm YES!!!". The flat based M-67 projectile is less stable than a boat-tailed one, thus meaning it will yaw sooner when it hits tissue and cause more damage.

I'm not saying that getting shot is no big deal, but I am saying that people need to understand that just because it looks bigger doesn't mean it does more damage... especially at close range. Yes, if the round hits bone or some hard object in its path, it will yaw sooner, that is a good point. I was just trying to make people understand that, generally, this round does not do as much damage close range as people think (at least with FMJ surplus).

·
Registered
970 Posts
Gee, I would have thought that guy to be from here in WV.
Thats seems to be the State pastime, get drunk and clean a loaded gun and shoot yourself or family member.

This is closely followed by piling the entire family on a 4-wheeler, with no helmets, and ride fast as you can until someone falls off and dies ,or you hit a tree and kill everyone.

Sad but true, it happens here all the time.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
BrianWV said:
Gee, I would have thought that guy to be from here in WV.
Thats seems to be the State pastime, get drunk and clean a loaded gun and shoot yourself or family member.

This is closely followed by piling the entire family on a 4-wheeler, with no helmets, and ride fast as you can until someone falls off and dies ,or you hit a tree and kill everyone.

Sad but true, it happens here all the time.
good to see that evolution is still in progress i guess :neutral:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts