AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
11,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, I need facts here. How do you make an AOW? I've read everything from "it is legal to just Form 1 a shotgun" to "it must be an AOW from the factory".

Basically, I'm looking to make a clone of what Denzel Washington had in "The Book of Eli". It seems like it would be cheap enough to make, minus the tax, and a neat (though functionless) gun to have. But past a practical rifle and pistol, they're all toys anyway.

Also- if you have them- I'd like to see sources if you can, so I know I'm not breaking the law or being confined beyond the law. Thanks for all the help!

· Banned
4,281 Posts
while it does look "kewl", the fact of the matter is, it really sucks to shoot. I fired a SERBU AOW, and it's a wrist breaker, not a very enjoyable gun to shoot. hollyweird doesn't portray what the thing really does when you fire real shotgun shells out of it, so you get the impression that it's not much of a recoil, because they are firing blanks.

if you want to go with a short barrel, you would be better off putting the 200 dollars tax into converting a SAIGA 12 or a pump action SG into a SBS.

· Registered
11,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Caligula said:
while it does look "kewl", the fact of the matter is, it really sucks to shoot. I fired a SERBU AOW, and it's a wrist breaker, not a very enjoyable gun to shoot. hollyweird doesn't portray what the thing really does when you fire real shotgun shells out of it, so you get the impression that it's not much of a recoil, because they are firing blanks.

if you want to go with a short barrel, you would be better off putting the 200 dollars tax into converting a SAIGA 12 or a pump action SG into a SBS.

I've been warned about all of that before, it really doesn't matter to me, plus it is what I want. I was warned about the .460 S&W before I tried it one-handed with heavy gr. hunting loads too and it was cake to plink with. I know there is way more recoil, it doesn't bother me at all.

A Saiga 12 has the problem of being way too expensive to buy in the first place, and way too expensive to worry about reliability with a short barrel, plus having to buy mags and deal with adjusting a gas system plus welding up the old FCG holes and other crap- at least, too expensive for just a toy.

This shotgun would be under $200, then just add stamp.

I was looking at an AOW for the low expense of a transfer. $10 to transfer to someone out of state vs. $400... seems like a pretty good deal if I ever decided to sell it. It would never see a stock anyway.

· Registered
4,548 Posts
Don't have any links but ...

Buy a shotgun with a pistol grip or no stock. ( can't be a shotty that came factory with a stock)

Fill out the Form1 and send it in with all the other required paperwork (depends if your doing it as an individual, LLC, or trust). Get the stamp back and hack the barrel.

· Registered
2,562 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Book_of_ ... rt_Shotgun[/url]

I wanted to make it from a full-length 870...[/quote:1h2mog8r]

You have to pay $200 to make it.
It is the same fee if you make a SBS or a AOW
Transfers on a AOW is just $5 while transfers on a SBS is $200

AOWs can only be made from pistol gripped shotguns or NEW receivers.
If you make it from a full length 870 with a stock on it then its gonna be a SBS
You can make aaow from this
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =171147425

· Registered
2,501 Posts
you cant an AOW from a full length rifle. If it has had a buttstock on it will be an SBS. if you can find a factory pistol grip shotgun then it will be good to go. plus the tax for making is $200 for an individual. the way to make this cheaper is if you have an SOT that you can give it to them to manf and then it will cost you the $5 for the transfer.

· Registered
11,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know it would be a $200 fee to make it, that isn't what bothered me. I'd rather have an AOW because it is cheap to transfer and I don't want a stock on it. Also, while a manufacturer may only charge $5 transfer, I'd have to pay for a NFA firearms transfer to get it in my hands... most of which are around $75. It would be easier to get a used gun and just cut it myself, as I'd save over the new gun pricing.

So- if it has just a pistol grip (ALA Cruiser style) its GTG?

· Registered
911 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
Yes, as a CYA measure make sure it shipped from the factory with a pistol grip first if you buy used. My 870 came from the factory with a p-grip and I have the box it came in for proof. I had my C2 file the Form 2 on it and it transferred to me on a Form 4 for $5. :twisted:

· Registered
2,562 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
Yep

something like this
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =172388201

I was gonna build one but found out my Cousin had a Serbia Super Shorty.
I bought it from him for $500. Which is the price he paid for it.
Cost me $100 to do the transfer (sucks)
Currently I am waiting on the NFA to do the paperwork from my Cousin to my dealer.

· Banned
4,281 Posts
DrugRunR said:
Currently I am waiting on the NFA to do the paperwork from my Cousin to my dealer.

then you'll have to wait for the NFA to approve the paperwork from your dealer to you. you should have it in your hands around jan 2011, or there abouts

· Registered
1,871 Posts
i would just call the atf and find out what they have to say and then have them send you a letter so if you send in the form and they say somethins not right you can send them a copy of there own letter and tell them this is what you told me. they should be able to tell you whats the best route to go paperwork wise, minus them forgetting to mention the best route is to put it in a trust

· Registered
5,381 Posts
stackscustominc said:
i would just call the atf and find out what they have to say and then have them send you a letter so if you send in the form and they say somethins not right you can send them a copy of there own letter and tell them this is what you told me. they should be able to tell you whats the best route to go paperwork wise, minus them forgetting to mention the best route is to put it in a trust
The ATF reverses their own rulings all the time, having an ATF letter is no guarantee in this world. See the Akins accelerator debacle as proof.

· Registered
4,321 Posts
HirosStorageUnit said:
the way to make this cheaper is if you have an SOT that you can give it to them to manf and then it will cost you the $5 for the transfer.
They (the SOT) still has to pay the $200 to manufacture the AOW. Part of the reason a Sebu Super Shorty is so damn expensive. They pass that $200 on to you.

· Registered
2,562 Posts
ClayC said:
HirosStorageUnit said:
the way to make this cheaper is if you have an SOT that you can give it to them to manf and then it will cost you the $5 for the transfer.
They (the SOT) still has to pay the $200 to manufacture the AOW. Part of the reason a Sebu Super Shorty is so damn expensive. They pass that $200 on to you.
wrong.
SOT = special occupational tax
The already pay the tax as a part of their license.
It essentially cost them NOTHING to make any NFA items.
This is also why dealer to dealer transfers are 'tax free'
Maybe someone that is a 07 with SOT will pipe in but I am pretty sure that I am right.

The Super shorty is so expensive because they know you can't build one for less then $500.
$300 for the donor gun then $200 for tax.

· Registered
2,562 Posts
m0ondoggy said:
The ATF reverses their own rulings all the time, having an ATF letter is no guarantee in this world. See the Akins accelerator debacle as proof.
The only guarantee you have is if the letter has your name on it. A letter with your name on it is basically a get out of jail card provided the situation exactly matches what is said in the letter.

· Registered
11,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DrugRunR said:
m0ondoggy said:
The only guarantee you have is if the letter has your name on it. A letter with your name on it is basically a get out of jail card provided the situation exactly matches what is said in the letter.

Even then it means nothing. Ask Atkins of the Atkins accelerator, or Cav Arms, how their ATF letters helped them while they were being raided.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.