AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mak90 with bronze hammer and SL bolt

I recently purchased a Mak90 that has a spring loaded bolt and the "polytech" looking bronze colored hammer
It says "made in China by Norinco" on bottom ,I think it has been painted because I can barely make out the "MAK-90" on the side and the importer but the "7.62x39mm" and the "semi-auto" are clear to see.
my question is,is the spring loaded bolt and the odd colored hammer normal for a Mak90 made by Norinco or do I have added parts on this weapon?
akbolt.JPG

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Chinese guns are made at various factories in China. Norinco, & Polytech are merely sales agencies who export these guns. I have 2 identical milled MAK 90's made at factory 386. One has a spring loaded bolt, & dark wood, while the other has a free floating bolt, & orange wood. As with anything in the manufacturing process, they use whatever parts they have in stock the day your gun [car, tv, etc] is built. GARY

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so the bronze hammer or the sl bolt were not necessarily upgrades or should be kept for any reason for the future?nothing rare here?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
so the bronze hammer or the sl bolt were not necessarily upgrades or should be kept for any reason for the future?nothing rare here?
I would check the ser# on the bolt to make sure it matches the rest of the gun. Keep it as it is, & don't worry about it. I've been in the auto business for 30 years. Several times I've noticed that a 2 bbl 350 V-8 came with a 4 bolt main engine. It wasn't an upgrade, however the day that car was built, the factory ran out of 2 bolt main engines, so they used the better engine to keep the assembly line going. GARY

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Do you think that maybe the previous owner may have had the hammer titanium nitride coated for some reason?:confused:

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
The bronze look of the hammer is typical of MAKs.

I think it's merely a result of the alloy content of the steel affecting the quality of the bluing.

·
Super Moderator
10,328 Posts
They are asking $53 on the polytech page for these
I guess old man Keng can ask anything he wants. See he also has the trigger for $119. :eek:

I knew he had a metric butt load ton of Polytech parts from back in the day when he was an importer. 10+ years ago, his stuff was dirt cheap but he has been slowly adjusting upward on pricing the last few years.

·
Super Moderator
10,328 Posts
Keng's lost their mind with their prices a few years back. I wonder how many parts they sell, now.
Agreed. It is almost as if he is afraid of running out and having nothing to sell, so he just throws the crack head prices out there with the intention of going out on a high note.

Last I remembered, him and his wife worked out of his home and his wife basically did most the work. Supposedly they use to be seen with a table or two at local guns shows in the Atlanta area but I do not know if that is current.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Keng's lost their mind with their prices a few years back. I wonder how many parts they sell, now.
So have all the people who pay $1200+ for a double folder Polytech AK that sold for $300 when new lost their minds? Remember, these guns/parts can no longer be imported. Plus, Keng's parts are new, while the guns are used. Or $159 MAK 90's now going for $700+. Who has lost their mind??? The greedy sellers, who want to triple their profits, or the foolish buyers with more money than brains who pay these insane prices? Why can't Mr. Keng do this too? GARY

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Actually from what I have heard, the Keng family hasn't lost their mind, they sold the business. You can just about figure when it changed hands by when the prices skyrocketed. Poly Tech Parts lives on in name under new ownership.

·
Super Moderator
10,328 Posts
Actually from what I have heard, the Keng family hasn't lost their mind, they sold the business. You can just about figure when it changed hands by when the prices skyrocketed. Poly Tech Parts lives on in name under new ownership.
Interesting, did not know that.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Supposedly they use to be seen with a table or two at local guns shows in the Atlanta area but I do not know if that is current.
I've been going to gun shows in the Atlanta are since about 1990. I've never seen them there. If they did attend, it was a rare event.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've been going to gun shows in the Atlanta are since about 1990. I've never seen them there. If they did attend, it was a rare event.
I too have been going to the shows around Atlanta since 2000 and I have not seen them there either and I was looking for Polytech parts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts