AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to the boards and a MAK90 newbie with some questions... I do have some experience with AK varients having owned an Arsenal SGL20 years ago. I currently have an opportunity to trade my M&P15 AR for a "fair/good" condition 1993 milled MAK90 (plus mags, ammo and a new Kahr CW9 pistol). It's a twin tang "slant cut" with the 386 in the oval, as well as the Norinco emblem engraved on the bottom of the receiver. Dispite the blueing being pretty heavily worn and some odd-ball parts, iit appears to be in good working condition. The barrel and bolt look good and all part numbers match up. It's definitely going to need a new set of Ironwood furniture! It comes with a slant brake. Does anyone know what kind of brake is currently afixed?

What do I need to be looking for? (No, it's not a contraband 3-pin model). What is a current fair value for this rifle?

I'm not necessarily a collector. However, I do want a good shooter/SHTF rifle that I can hand down to my son.

I'm still on the fence about this trade... Any thoughts from the MAK90 community?

Thanks in advance!

1470243_10201843372389226_79160101_n.jpg MAK90 Receiver Close.jpg Norinco.jpg

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
The milled MAK-90 had the dual slant cut similar to the Legend Underfolder, but obviously without the underfolder holes drilled into the sides of the receiver. They unfortunately had a round hole in the rear as opposed to the standard milled receiver almost square cut for the butt-stock. The lower tang was added by a previous owner as it did not come that way from the factory. They had a Bush-hole stock like any other MAK-90, milled or stamped.

You might have to call Ironwood to discuss the fact you have a lower tang, but would guess the round hole in the rear of the receiver, so you or they would have to modify their very special milled MAK-90 stock.

Milled MAK-90s have been selling lately for what true pre-ban standard models were not too long ago, about $1000 or so. Mags run between $10 to $15 each, and can't tell how much ammo is there, but it has been running around .25 cents per round, so you can figure t hat.

Sorry, can't figure the brake accurately from the photo. Don't want to guess and possibly be wrong. :D

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Posted that quickly and just wanted to add one of the funnier things I have ever heard at a range thanks to my daughter. She was 15 at the time, very petite, so when she picked up our milled MAK-90 that I rebuilt to a really nice looking AK Type 3 except in semi-auto, and installed a 100 round drum, a stereotype hunter at a table next to us asked her if it was a bit heavy. Her priceless answer was "If you think this is heavy, you must be a wimp!". She then proceeded to empty the mag, one round per second or so to make a point, and after nearly 2 minutes of continuous fire, the place erupted into applause. Am I a proud papa or what?!?!?!

Milled MAK-90s are really nice rifles, great shooters, pretty good accuracy, and the legendary reliability that makes the AK so famous.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The milled MAK-90 had the dual slant cut similar to the Legend Underfolder, but obviously without the underfolder holes drilled into the sides of the receiver. They unfortunately had a round hole in the rear as opposed to the standard milled receiver almost square cut for the butt-stock. The lower tang was added by a previous owner as it did not come that way from the factory. They had a Bush-hole stock like any other MAK-90, milled or stamped.

You might have to call Ironwood to discuss the fact you have a lower tang, but would guess the round hole in the rear of the receiver, so you or they would have to modify their very special milled MAK-90 stock.

Milled MAK-90s have been selling lately for what true pre-ban standard models were not too long ago, about $1000 or so. Mags run between $10 to $15 each, and can't tell how much ammo is there, but it has been running around .25 cents per round, so you can figure t hat.

Sorry, can't figure the brake accurately from the photo. Don't want to guess and possibly be wrong. :D
Indykid. Great info! Based on my inspection of the rifle, I had a feeling that the lower tang wasn't original to the receiver. So, can I assume that some careful work with a Dremel tool can fix this issue?

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
posted that quickly and just wanted to add one of the funnier things i have ever heard at a range thanks to my daughter. She was 15 at the time, very petite, so when she picked up our milled mak-90 that i rebuilt to a really nice looking ak type 3 except in semi-auto, and installed a 100 round drum, a stereotype hunter at a table next to us asked her if it was a bit heavy. Her priceless answer was "if you think this is heavy, you must be a wimp!". She then proceeded to empty the mag, one round per second or so to make a point, and after nearly 2 minutes of continuous fire, the place erupted into applause. Am i a proud papa or what?

Milled mak-90s are really nice rifles, great shooters, pretty good accuracy, and the legendary reliability that makes the ak so famous.
outstanding!

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Figure in about another $300-$400 and you would have a pretty cool rifle. Replace the stock, ad a spiker FSB and bayo and it would be really cool. The rifle has potential as long as ALL the numbers match. The dust cover looks a little funky but I imagine you can hammer the dents out.

For what AR rifles have been going for lately, which isn't much, I'd say do it before he changes his mind.

The flash hider looks to be a tabuk style.

Also, welcome to the forum. And extra points for the "magnum pi" DVD. ;)

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Indykid. Great info! Based on my inspection of the rifle, I had a feeling that the lower tang wasn't original to the receiver. So, can I assume that some careful work with a Dremel tool can fix this issue?

Thanks.
Welcome to the group!

Sorry for missing that, I usually don't miss things like that, hate being human!

As for the lower tang, if it is riveted in, you could drill out the rivets to remove it and the holes should be covered up by the pistol grip. If it is welded in, then yes cut it off with a dremel.

Make sure the hole in the back of the receiver had not been damaged by the installation of the lower tang. A little roughness can be filed or sanded off. The reason is the Ironwood Design stock uses that round hole to secure the stock. It really shouldn't be much of an issue if any. The other nice thing about the Ironwood stock is that is is shaped to fit the double cut of the receiver perfectly.

The stock on the rifle in the story above was made by me, and I wish I was more careful as I didn't think about all the sawdust until I was almost finished and noticed that my black car was now wood brown.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Figure in about another $300-$400 and you would have a pretty cool rifle. Replace the stock, ad a spiker FSB and bayo and it would be really cool. The rifle has potential as long as ALL the numbers match. The dust cover looks a little funky but I imagine you can hammer the dents out.

For what AR rifles have been going for lately, which isn't much, I'd say do it before he changes his mind.

The flash hider looks to be a tabuk style.

Also, welcome to the forum. And extra points for the "magnum pi" DVD. ;)
22many - Thank you for the info. Actually, those are the current owner's photo that he sent to me before I saw it in person. So, I can't take credit for the Magnum PI dvd - though I am a fan! Hey, what exactly is a "spiker FSB"? (Wait, is it a front site block? Where the folding bayo pivots from?)

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
22many - Thank you for the info. Actually, those are the current owner's photo that he sent to me before I saw it in person. So, I can't take credit for the Magnum PI dvd - though I am a fan! Hey, what exactly is a "spiker FSB"? (Wait, is it a front site block? Where the folding bayo pivots from?)
I though about that after I posted thinking that the magnum pi DVD was the current owners picture. Oh well, it's all good.

Your correct on what the spiker FSB is. In years past they were almost impossible to find and if you did, you were gonna pay big $$$ for it. But there are certain people making them so they are easier to find and a lot cheaper. Here is one company making them:

Tortort Manufacturing Products - AK Rifle Products - AK Trunnion - AK Front Sight - AK Receiver - AK47 Trunnion - AK-47 Trunnion - AK47 Front Sight - AK-47 Front Sight

I have yet to try it but the front trunnions he makes has had good reviews. He is also a member here on the forums. I have a MAK 90 so I'll have to order one soon.

I say do the trade. That rifle has alot of potential and you don't run across them every day. When finished, I would love to have a rifle like that in my collection...and I have quite a big collection.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for the replies and info, fellas! I made the trade today and I'm now the proud owner of a 1993 milled Norinco MAK-90! She's kind of an ugly duckling right now, but when the project is over she'll be one hot mama. The fun begins...

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Since you mentioned it, what are the best online sites to order parts from?
Apex, ak-builder, rguns, what a country, desert fox, RTG, centerfire systems, copes, gunbroker are my main places I go when I need parts. Stay away from places lift cheaper than dirt, arms of America and some others that really gouged us this last ban scare. Arms of America isn't too bad and I will buy from them if I have to but I will never give any money to cheaper than dirt.

Chinese AK parts are a little harder to come by. I'm not up to date on who has the latest selection of chinese parts but all the venders I mentioned have some. keep you eyes open in the classifieds section also.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
The Bulgarian front sight and gas block will fit the barrel. I used those on the rifle in the photo I posted. Though not original, they are true to the original Type 3 and only a purist would notice, and in this case speaking as a purist, so what, it's a MAK-90 and not the Poly Tech Legend that it was originally born as.

As stated, Chinese parts are very hard to come by, and if you find originals, they are unreal expensive. An original folding bayo and front sight assembly is selling for $400 and up!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Also, as much as I'm not a fan of ironwood designs furniture, that's probably gonna be your best bet for a rear stock. Those slant cut milled receiver stocks are not common and as far as I know ironwood is the only company that has them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also, as much as I'm not a fan of ironwood designs furniture, that's probably gonna be your best bet for a rear stock. Those slant cut milled receiver stocks are not common and as far as I know ironwood is the only company that has them.
22many - Thanks for the list of part suppliers. I'm cool with the Ironwood furniture and think it'll look sharp with the overall look I have in mind. My idea is to fix her up into a rock solid shooter and SHTF defense rifle that I can pass down to my boy, instead of trying to restore her as a collectors piece. I'm excited to get started!

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
My idea is to fix her up into a rock solid shooter and SHTF defense rifle that I can pass down to my boy, instead of trying to restore her as a collectors piece.
And that's fine too. The AK rifle is a great rifle in stock form without all the tactical bolt ons that people "upgrade" to. Nice wood furniture, a bayonet, and a aftermarket rear sight leaf and your GTG.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts