AK Rifles banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum, but have a question. I recently acquired a relatively unused MAK (seller said he put a few hundred rounds through it and rifling checks out) I then sent it to an AK builder (meridian ordnance) for headspace/rivet inspection. Everything checked out, however after about 100 rounds I noticed some odd wear on the trunnion, it seems to be wearing quite a bit, almost a “step” forming, however I could have not noticed it when I first bought it as I was new to AKs. Could use your opinion, is it normal? Thanks!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

·
Registered
189 Posts
that's not bubba's work. that's from the bolt not perfectly moving in time with how it's supposed to. seen that with a few different AK's, and it's stupid common on the PSA AK's too. If it continues to wear and create cracks...bad... if it wears to a certain point and stop (95% probability that's what it is) then no biggie.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's not bubba's work. that's from the bolt not perfectly moving in time with how it's supposed to. seen that with a few different AK's, and it's stupid common on the PSA AK's too. If it continues to wear and create cracks...bad... if it wears to a certain point and stop (95% probability that's what it is) then no biggie.
Ok thank you man I appreciate that reply. I guess it’s one of those things that just needs to run it’s course, because it was supposedly checked for headspace and stuff via Meridian Ordnance

·
Registered
60 Posts

You can literally see a little piece of metal over hanging where the bolt cams. this little piece wouldnt even be there if your theory was correct. I think bubba had a rough action and tried to smooth it out with a dremel. There is no way the bolt turn up ramp would be that far off to cause that, my build count is in the triple digits so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can literally see a little piece of metal over hanging where the bolt cams. this little piece wouldnt even be there if your theory was correct. I think bubba had a rough action and tried to smooth it out with a dremel. There is no way the bolt turn up ramp would be that far off to cause that, my build count is in the triple digits so I could be wrong.
So Is it unsafe to use? The idea that my MAK was bubba’d makes me sick

·
Registered
189 Posts
possible a mixture of both. A slight edge was created by the bolt camming and unlocking (as seen on the PSAs recently) and bubba decided to file it smooth.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Ok, you forced me to pull out one of my well used MAK-90s and when I compared it to your picture I couldn't see any difference. Other than differences in tool marks my wear pattern looks exactly like yours.

A favor if you don't mind, could you post that picture again, but this time circle the area in question?

·
Registered
7,650 Posts
Am i seeing that the bolt is a tad early in its rotation with that wear?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, you forced me to pull out one of my well used MAK-90s and when I compared it to your picture I couldn't see any difference. Other than differences in tool marks my wear pattern looks exactly like yours.

A favor if you don't mind, could you post that picture again, but this time circle the area in question?
Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum, but have a question. I recently acquired a relatively unused MAK (seller said he put a few hundred rounds through it and rifling checks out) I then sent it to an AK builder (meridian ordnance) for headspace/rivet inspection. Everything checked out, however after about 100 rounds I noticed some odd wear on the trunnion, it seems to be wearing quite a bit, almost a “step” forming, however I could have not noticed it when I first bought it as I was new to AKs. Could use your opinion, is it normal? Thanks! View attachment 311814 View attachment 311814

Sure thing! Thanks for taking a look!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Picture posted, thanks!

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Thanks for that photo, I thought that is what you were talking about but just wanted to make sure.

The MAK-90 that I take to the range the most often looks almost exactly as yours, with that same wear mark. I have a second MAK-90 that hasn't seen much range time and the wear isn't the same but it looks like it is headed in the same direction.

For the heck of it I pulled out a Romanian SAR-1 that I stopped counting rounds fired after 13,000 (that was back when ammo was affordable) and unlike the Chinese there is no wear at all in that area.

It does seem to be a strange wear pattern but I don't think it will be a problem and it won't stop me from shooting my "beater" MAK-90. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks for that photo, I thought that is what you were talking about but just wanted to make sure.

The MAK-90 that I take to the range the most often looks almost exactly as yours, with that same wear mark. I have a second MAK-90 that hasn't seen much range time and the wear isn't the same but it looks like it is headed in the same direction.

For the heck of it I pulled out a Romanian SAR-1 that I stopped counting rounds fired after 13,000 (that was back when ammo was affordable) and unlike the Chinese there is no wear at all in that area.

It does seem to be a strange wear pattern but I don't think it will be a problem and it won't stop me from shooting my "beater" MAK-90. :D
great to hear!!! Thanks for going through all the trouble, it definitely puts my mind at peace!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts