AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I picked up a 1993 milled MAK-90 on a trade and there's a funky flash hider/compensator pinned onto the muzzle. Can anyone identify what kind it is, who makes it (company & nationality), is it original or a mod, etc? I've never seen anything like it. Any accurate help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

KIMG0416.JPG KIMG0415.JPG KIMG0410.JPG KIMG0412.JPG

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Those were made in the mid 1990s to get around the ban on threaded barrels. They didn't always fit properly and if they didn't line up just right, the bullet would strike the end of the device. I wound up opening several of them when friends would show me theirs. I had a bore size dowel rod that I would drop into the brake/thing and many times it would not go straight down the barrel.

Check that one carefully as it appears the front is higher than the muzzle.

There were also some AK-74 type brakes made like that one and they had the same alignment issues.

Now that it is legal again to have threaded barrels, I would just take that off, thread the barrel and install something nicer, or about anything your heart desires. Most milled MAK-90s had muzzles that were not cut down, so they can be threaded to the standard 14x1mm left hand to allow the use of any AK style brake.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Where are some pictures of the rest of the rifle?

Edit: Scratch that. I saw the pictures in your other thread.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Those were made in the mid 1990s to get around the ban on threaded barrels. They didn't always fit properly and if they didn't line up just right, the bullet would strike the end of the device.
Exactly. The last one of those I saw was about 12 years ago. It was on the ground at the range somewhere between the firing line, & the target. I'd remove it & replace it with nothing. On many photo's of real Chinese military AK's, it clearly shows a NON threaded barrel. I own 2 milled MAK's, & I've left the muzzles non threaded. Why waste money threading a barrel, & changing the front site when many real Chinese AK's don't have these features. GARY

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I was just whining to a friend on the phone about the current barrel ban today. I'll keep fighting to get that overturned, but in the meantime, thank you for giving me some gratitude for the way things are now compared to the AWB era :thumbsup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Gary,.....It's about time somebody finally let the real fact out about alot of these MAK90's,...stamped/milled,......that they were not threaded for any type of muzzle device. Alot had the snake fangs for the cleaning rods and some even had the bayo mount lip ridge/w cln.rd hole before they started getting neutered by the abc boys/customs with there BS (no sense) mods,for export purposes only,....Some didn't even have the cleaning rod hole drilled through the metal piece and wood itself to accomadate the CL.Rd. itself. Not to mention the front site piece w/dedent spring pipe piece with no hole drilled on alot of the ones I seen. But yeah,....you are 100% right on alot not ever being threaded for a MD. At least the out-side Dia. is spot on for the folks that do want that M.D.-45* slant brake on it. Me,....If it wasn't threaded for one, it's not original for that MAK90. Just my .02.
AKB

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Actually some were threaded from the factory, usually the very early ones that started life as a 56S and were modified in port by having a muzzle nut or cut down slant break tack welded to the front sight, and of course the removal of pistol grip and standard stock. Some of them also still had the cleaning rod holder and bayo lug with the ears just trimmed off.

Yes later ones did not have the cleaning rod holders on the front sight or gas block, but had the hole in the lower handguard and retainer. Some like you stated didn't even have those holes. Later ones even had the muzzle turned down to keep people from threading to the standard 14x1mm left hand.

Then there were the underfolders. Most had the folding stock removed and plates riveted over the holes in the receiver, a stock tang welded to the rear of the receiver, and the Bush-hole stock installed. I have even seen a couple that had the folding stock tack welded into the folded position with the Bush-hole stock installed on the rear. Talk about a funny looking rifle!

You were even able to find MAK-90s with true 56 receivers with all the evil features (3rd receiver hole etc.). When ATF found out about those, they demanded them all be turned in.

Like all the Chinese, the MAK-90s hold true to the rule that with the Chinese AK variations the only rule was that there were no rules.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last night I removed the MD pin and tried to take off that funky looking device. After carefully whacking and banging on it for 30 minutes with various wooden blocks and mallets, I couldn't get it to budge a single millimeter. The joint is now soaked in penetrant with hopes of breaking whatever super-bond is keeping it on. You guys got any tips and/or suggestions for getting it off?

·
Registered
760 Posts
I took one off and it was a BITCH too. I got it off though.

I did the same thing, overnight in CLP.
Then i took a large brass punch, a good hammer, and started tapping around it. It eventually popped and came off. It was a snug little sucker tho.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Agree that soaking it in a good penetrating oil of any brand would be a good first try. Would guess that after all the years there is probably a thin layer of rust on the muzzle and/or the inside of the brake. If the rifle has been fired it is also probable that there is a good carbon buildup in that area, which works as a good cement as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts