AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me weird, but I don't get why some people only want USGI mags for their AR.

Those things are made of fairly shitty quality even as consumable standards. P mags are all I care.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Call me weird, but I don't get why some people only want USGI mags for their AR.

Those things are made of fairly shitty quality even as consumable standards. P mags are all I care.
It's because they are special lol. Im sure they have their reasons. most probably want them because its military standard. They feel more comfortable with the reliability.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just my 2 cents but if they were crappy they would have stopped making them. Aluminum will last a life time plastic going in and out of a metal mag well will not. When you drop a loaded plastic mag on concrete mostly likely it will break or crack. Aluminum might crack or dent(POSSIBLY FIXABLE). You can find rebuild parts for aluminum mags not sure about ALL of pmags parts. You know good AK mags have metal locking lugs. I have 1 pmag for AR 15s and 8 for AR 10 they are fine no complaints. I however will keep all of my 100 usgi mags thank you very much. I actually like Troy mags better than pmgas but thats just me. I really like my Brownells 20 rounders too really gives a kinda Viet Nam feel. I remember and appreciate the vets when I think of that. The Brownells 20 rounders fit in many cases where 30 rounders wont. Having the gun ready to go with 20 rounds is actually better than a pmag 30rd you have to insert then charge the gun. Yeah guess I dont actually drink the pmag cool aid. That said they are a good option and I'm glad to have mine.:wink:

·
Registered
21,772 Posts
"To each their own" comes to mind. Gun owners have their quirks same as any other hobby.

Personally I bought the aluminum mags because they were cheaper than any of the poly mags.. only reason I got into P-mags and Troy mags was because of the aftermath of the panic. I also heard good things about them. It's kind of a moot point since I'm not going to be finding myself on a 2 way range any time soon (God willing...)

I'll listen to people who were actually enlisted and ignore the chairborne commandos on the interbutts.

·
Super Moderator
25,782 Posts
There is nothing wrong with USGI mags. I was in the Army for 23 years, and as long as the were not used and abused, they always worked just fine.

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
Plenty of dead people shot from with rifles using USGI mags. They have their detraction's but I would not go so far as to call them shitty or unusable.

I like my AR's but the fanboy AR crowd is like Lemmings off a cliff, they will just follow the asshole in front of them in terms of whatever Seal/Delta Force/Contract Operator/Mall Cop is using that day of the week and last weeks gear, is crap.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Plenty of dead people shot from with rifles using USGI mags. They have their detraction's but I would not go so far as to call them shitty or unusable.

I like my AR's but the fanboy AR crowd is like Lemmings off a cliff, they will just follow the asshole in front of them in terms of whatever Seal/Delta Force/Contract Operator/Mall Cop is using that day of the week and last weeks gear, is crap.

·
Technical Advisor
15,524 Posts
^ That picture of "puffy" the paratrooper always cracks me up. Whoever that is., certainly got their 5 minutes of fame. If only to be chuckled at.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I use both I have an original colt mag from the seventy's still works. early twenty rounders with the metal followers to more modern aluminum one's with the green followers and I have a stack of P mags I use the GI mags in my gear because the P mags don't fit. but I like them both?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I replaced all my GI followers with magpul followers. Seem to be perfect now.
My Pmags don't seem to like being fully loaded. Feel like they're bloated when going into mag well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts