AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like many of you am a mag whore. I've stared a new trend in the last couple of years. That is buying up rare mags I never use. When I sit and think about what I paid for some of them I get irritated with myself that I don't use them. I'm think hard about selling off the super rare expensive stuff and using the others that are rarer but not that rare. What would you guys do?

·
Premium Member
13,069 Posts
My gut keeps telling me to keep what I have until there is more clairity about what I already own. I take a few "Bakes" to the range once in a while for my own satisfaction.

Keeping all I have for the foreseeable future... If selling off a few of the uber rare makes you feel better, no harm-no foul. Do what keeps you enjoying your collection.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I do the same, and right now its how I talk myself out of buying more mags and put it towards ammo instead. I have my keeper mags and my shooter mags of the types I like. (plums,bakes,bulgys). I can't really justify more mags to myself other than I jusr want them lol.

·
Registered
21,770 Posts
Fortunately I haven't caught the mag collecting bug. I sorta stumble into the rare ones somehow.. like a bosnian fleur de lis that was in a sportsmans guide mag lotto years ago.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yea I have a severe Chinese magazine addiction every time I see one for sale its like I have to buy it ,good news is I have most of them I believe so I should be slowing down . That being said im sure ill find something else to collect lol. I look at them as a investment and will only sell if I fall on hard times. If you do sell let me know maybe you have a few of the rare birds in looking for

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ones that get to me are like my romy 5.45 40 rounder. What good is a 400-500 dollar mag just sitting where I'll never use it. Or my true Black Russian 45 rounders or my Pakistanis. I've got a couple grand in rare or really rare mags that I just feel like I'm boning myself to not use them and then boning myself if I do use them. Its kinda tough when you feel it needs to be practical or not taking up space.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
you just have to hope that one day they will be as rare as hens teeth and that you will be able to treasure it. Unfortunately(or fortunately, depending how you look at it) its been the opposite lately. All sorts of stuff has been coming in and prices have been cheap.

·
Technical Advisor
15,522 Posts
I never fell into the mag collecting thing to any depth. If I stumbled on one by luck or a sale on something uncommon I might go as high as $40-$50 once in a while.
In recent years there have been a lot of mags come in that were once uncommon and now are not so much. Chinese all stamped varieties, Russian slabsides, ., many of the bakelites in 5.45 and 7.62 have kind of decreased in price.
Still a lot of rare ones out there., I'm sure., as I do not track that stuff.
I stick/stuck to the kit buying and building and 3 or 4 mags and usually a pouch for each rifle.

There are rifles I do not shoot much and I guess could be called safe queens., but I guess I always thought a rifle was better than 8 -10 safe queen mags. But each to their own niche.:)

·
Registered
833 Posts
I really don't buy rare mags, although I bought two 7.62 bakes and a Bulgy waffle only because it looks cool in one of my rifles. The ones I'm a sucker for are the well used battlefield worn ones. Dents, rust, lack of finish....you know the ones that tell a story, those are rare to me. I understand about having them and not using them, but as soon as you snap that uber rare mag in, the value probably goes south.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I like Polish steel mags have an early one blued with the entire alphabet stamped on it. have some romanian,egyptian,yugo, a few bakes russian stamped steel even have a aluminum waffle. want to get some east german and hungarian mags but I am not a collector just like to look at the differences compare them even have a 762. chicom thirty rounder with a follower that does don't look AK looks like more like AR. has a flat back with a round rib down the back?

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have collected almost every rare mag but in the last two years I started to use them more and more. What is the point if you don't use it? What sell to someone who will? I look back at the mags I sold and never used it just saddens me not to shoot them and now I am done taking pics of them now I just enjoy them the way they were intended to be used in my AKs!

·
Technical Advisor
15,522 Posts
I would rather shoot a rifle or sell the rare mags to buy a rare rifle vs shooting rare mags. Just seems more fun or value to me. But I guess that is what makes every hobby..., all the various things to collect, shoot or safe queen etc.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Who started the silly "mag whore" moniker?

Doesn't make any sense. We don't give sex in return for mags. We don't hump the mags. Whores aren't well known for collecting anything...

Did this originate with some message board dummy who garbled "mag hoarder?"

·
Premium Member
13,069 Posts
Who started the silly "mag whore" moniker?

Doesn't make any sense. We don't give sex in return for mags. We don't hump the mags. Whores aren't well known for collecting anything...

Did this originate with some message board dummy who garbled "mag hoarder?"
I first saw this phrase when cheap mags hit the shore some years ago....don't remember where or who...and some collectors ran with it and still referrnce it to themselves.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
I'm not pointing the finger at anyone here.

Dumb jargon is here for good when the larger collecting community gets ahold of it.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I've never really caught the mag collecting bug, thank God; but bayonets are a different matter! :p

I do have a small selection that includes a Bosnian Fleur de Lis and a couple of two-ribbers, a Russian slabside, some bakelites and a few others that I've picked up here and there over the years. I don't use them as I have plenty of other mags to take to the range and abuse. For the most part, that is why I pick up mags, to use; but I do see the fun and value of grabbing the rarer ones...

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Was grumbling so much I forgot to comment on topic-

I built up a moderate collection over the last 10 years or so and went to some trouble to get the perfect storage bags for each. Nothing world-class, but good solid representatives of the major variants.

Now I've got a couple of very heavy Rubbermaid tubs that sit in the corner, unused and unloved. Used to be a die-hard collector, but now wondering what good it does...

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
I would rather shoot a rifle or sell the rare mags to buy a rare rifle vs shooting rare mags. Just seems more fun or value to me. But I guess that is what makes every hobby..., all the various things to collect, shoot or safe queen etc.
This is my feeling as well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts