1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
For AR? 870?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I've only seen individuals modding Magpul 870 handguards to fit their AK's. Have not seen a factory Magpul handguard. Link?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep. Mea Culpa. I don't know why I did that frankly - stupidity most likely. That being said they should make a stock and hand guards. The reality is that with the slowdown in the middle east they finally decided that they needed to create some products specifically for the AK. Smart business.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Yep. Mea Culpa. I don't know why I did that frankly - stupidity most likely. That being said they should make a stock and hand guards. The reality is that with the slowdown in the middle east they finally decided that they needed to create some products specifically for the AK. Smart business.
At first I was like "Sweet - Magpul has a new product." Then: Not - LOL. ;)

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
There is a reason the angle of the original pistol grip isnt set as far back as the magpul abomination. This does not represent an improvement in my book, but will likely land on the rifles of fellas who use midwest industry's rails and Ace folding stocks.... nuff said.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With respect, why is the Magpul grip a mistake in your opinion? Why is it set too far back? Thanks for the answer/ explanation.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
With respect, why is the Magpul grip a mistake in your opinion? Why is it set too far back? Thanks for the answer/ explanation.

I think so yes. There is a reason many prefer the ergo's of the K-grip to the MOE. In fact, Troy Industry's AR grip is a obvious copy of the original AKM grips angle and form factor.

And lets face it, these type of products appeal to a certain demographic who want the "tactical look", but really havent taken the time necessary to understand proper application. Along with their non-reinforced AK magazine, magpul is just another tapco in my mind.

That being said, if you enjoy the feel of this grip knock yourself out. I dont want to dissuade people from purchasing something they enjoy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is the consequence of using the MOE instead of the original grip? I have pretty big hands and the stock grip doesn't feel good to me. On one of my AKs I use a US Palm grip which is more comfortable.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I forgot the Tapco "SAW" grip. I've spent some time humping a SAW around professionally, and it's not a bad grip - on the original weapon, or an AK.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess what I am asking is why is one grip angle better than another and what makes the original ergonomically better than the Magpul or other AR type grips on AK's. Thanks much.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
There is no ideal angle. What grip size and angle allows YOU to employ the weapon with less hand/grip/arm fatigue is the right one. If there was an ideal grip angle for all ...... all modern weapon systems would have the same one.... which they don't. The original AK grip was not designed with ergonomics in mind. Pretty much no part of the AK was designed with the human interface as a prime consideration. (I wasn't there when M.K. designed the weapon - but even cursory employment of the weapon should let you draw your own conclusions on this.) The original AK grip was designed to be cheap, easy to make, and allow the Soldier to grasp the weapon and manipulate the trigger. It succeeds in that.... and not much else. You will notice that the modern MOLOT grips and all the grips on the AK12 are significantly changed from the original grip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts