AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Romanian M10 762 AK-47 rifle. I've been having a problem with mags getting stuck in the mag well. As in, I insert the mag and it is so tight that the mag release WILL NOT budge to remove it. The mags are "Romanian" 30 rounders and I was wondering any helpful tips or info on fixing this problem. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,328 Posts
Might have to file down the top of the mag latch. I would try a few more different country's mags to make sure you just do not have a mag issue.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
As Hootbro said, it could be a latch issue, but it could also be a mag problem. I have a Romanian SAR-1 that I installed a mag and needed pliers to move the release lever to get the mag out. Other mags worked ok so I took a file to the rear tang on the offending mag and removed a little metal at a time until it fit not too tight, but not too loose.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As Hootbro said, it could be a latch issue, but it could also be a mag problem. I have a Romanian SAR-1 that I installed a mag and needed pliers to move the release lever to get the mag out. Other mags worked ok so I took a file to the rear tang on the offending mag and removed a little metal at a time until it fit not too tight, but not too loose.
I have some Hungarian tanker mags and one fit flawlessly, the second one would have a 50/50 chance of getting stuck, and the third one would always get stuck. I took a file to the lip on the back of the mag and it fixed the problem ,so I'm guessing I'll have to do the same on these as well.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
When you go to file the mag catch you want to go at it like you're trying to polish it instead of removing a bunch of metal. Keep a pile of mags with you and try each. You don't want to try it with one mag, get it perfect, then find out the remaining mags are too loose. Take it slow and gentle!

·
Registered
193 Posts
When you go to file the mag catch you want to go at it like you're trying to polish it instead of removing a bunch of metal. Keep a pile of mags with you and try each. You don't want to try it with one mag, get it perfect, then find out the remaining mags are too loose. Take it slow and gentle!
I disagree, file the mags not the weapon.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I disagree, file the mags not the weapon.
I'd rather identify the problem and fix that. If the mags are to spec and work in other rifles, I would not be filing on them as my first recourse.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried the other 4 Romy mags that my father got from the lot and it's like I will insert them in a couple times and they'll come out fine but then the third or fourth insert it gets stuck?

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I would check the latch for some foreign material, lodged in it, dried cosmoline, metal, or the like. Especially if it works, then sticks, sounds like something is floating around, in the latch, or latch spring.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I filed down the mag catch a little bit. I think it helped a lot! There is a ton of clearance but there are a couple that are still sticking. Thanks guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts