AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't find a telephone number so I sent an email (so far no reply) whether Texas AK Design's magazine adapter for 5.56 works for Bulgarian 5.56 AKs.

This adapter allows the use of AR-15 type magazines in an AK chambered for 5.56.

Do you guys out there have any thoughts on this?

Danny

·
Registered
20 Posts
Honestly I would consider sending your rifle to Definitive Arms and having them install their adapter. Krebs Custom is already doing joint projects with them for the KV-15. Sets up the AK to lock back on empty and a mag release like an AR. If the lock back fails you can run it like a normal AK.
Definitive Arms LLC - Definitive Arms LLC

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Wow! I *really* like the look of the Definitive Arms AR mag adapter. Last round bolt hold open is a major plus for the AK. I might have to get this for my SLR 106FR.

·
Banned
950 Posts
By the time you buy the adapter, pay for shipping- you could buy about six or seven Bulgarian mags. I personally like the Bulgarian 5.56 mags but then I bought them back when they were under $25 and own dozens of them.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I also have other 5.56 AKs. Two Chinese, and an SAR 3. All these use proprietary magazines. Chinese 5.56 mags, along with the Weiger mags are expensive and nearly unobtanium. I have a good supply of both, but for someone who doesn't, this mag adapter would be a God send. I have a shitload of various AR magazines, all of which would work in this mag well adapter. AR mags are easier to locate, and generally cheaper than Bulgarian 5.56 mags. And much cheaper than Chinese or East German 5.56 mags. $350 installed for the adapter is on par with the cost of say a few Chinese 5.56 mags. I've seen them for as much as $50 per mag recently.

·
Banned
1,635 Posts
By the time you buy the adapter, pay for shipping- you could buy about six or seven Bulgarian mags. I personally like the Bulgarian 5.56 mags but then I bought them back when they were under $25 and own dozens of them.

+1 Bulgarian AK .223 mags or even converted 5.45X39 mags.

·
Banned
950 Posts
+1 Bulgarian AK .223 mags or even converted 5.45X39 mags.

Or even Polish 5.56 mags- anything but AR mags. Though truthfully I wish I could use AR mags because I have so many of them but they are not nearly as robust as a Bulgarian 5.56 mag. Not even an AUG mag is as tough as a Bulgarian 5.56 black plastic mag and that's saying something. I'm going to go out on a limb here but the Bulgarian 5.56 magazine is the toughest polymer 5.56 magazine ever produced to date.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I dropped a loaded Bulgy 5.56 smoke mag on a hardwood floor, it popped out several rounds. When I picked it up, I noticed it broke near the feed lips. I never broke an AR mag that way.
I took the guts out of the smoke mag and put them in black 5.45 mag.

These Polish mags? Expensive!

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-accessories/polish-beryl-archer-5-56x45-magazine-2-pack-detail.html?Itemid=0

You can buy nine Mapul Gen 2 mags for less than the price of two Polish 5.56 mags.

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-15-m16-pmag-gen-m2-moe-magazine-prod24192.aspx

·
Technical Advisor
15,500 Posts
Bulgarian 5.56 waffle mags are not all created equal. Some are better than others.

Black waffle- with stripper clip guide/spoon grooves on the side and smooth front spine area. These appear to be the most rigid and have the metal impregnated feed lips & side plate

Black waffle- lacks stripper clip guide slot on the sides. Does have metal feed lip inserts but appears to have more flex in the body? (my opinion/observation). The front spine is waffled vs smooth

Smoke & Clear - these lack the stripper clip guide grooves. These are not metal lined and are plastic feed lips only. They are waffled at the front spine area.

There may be smoke & clear in the other categories., but these are the ones I have for personal inspection, magnet testing etc.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have several of each (except clear). I was unaware of the differences in the black mags.

Bulgarian 5.56 waffle mags are not all created equal. Some are better than others.

Black waffle- with stripper clip guide/spoon grooves on the side and smooth front spine area. These appear to be the most rigid and have the metal impregnated feed lips & side plate

Black waffle- lacks stripper clip guide slot on the sides. Does have metal feed lip inserts but appears to have more flex in the body? (my opinion/observation). The front spine is waffled vs smooth

Smoke & Clear - these lack the stripper clip guide grooves. These are not metal lined and are plastic feed lips only. They are waffled at the front spine area.

There may be smoke & clear in the other categories., but these are the ones I have for personal inspection, magnet testing etc.

·
Banned
950 Posts
I dropped a loaded Bulgy 5.56 smoke mag on a hardwood floor, it popped out several rounds. When I picked it up, I noticed it broke near the feed lips. I never broke an AR mag that way.
I took the guts out of the smoke mag and put them in black 5.45 mag.

These Polish mags? Expensive!

Shipping Accessories : Polish Beryl "Archer" 5.56X45 Magazine 2 Pack

You can buy nine Mapul Gen 2 mags for less than the price of two Polish 5.56 mags.

AR-15/M16 PMAG GEN M2 MOE MAGAZINE | Brownells

The smoke mags don't have steel re-enforced feed lips from what I remember.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
The Polish mags are excellent, if you can find them. Also, the plastic Galil/R4/R5 mags can be converted if you are willing to put some time in. They also work well if you do them right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts