AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my amd 63 kit to a local machinist to have the rivets removed and the barrel pressed out.
I learned that machinist are not necessarily good gunsmiths. Lesson Learned.....
The guy drilled into my barrel when removing the rivets from the front trunion. The drill bit went into both sides of the barrel about half of the thickness of the chamber wall (4 holes HALF way through the thick chamber portion. NOT all the way into the chamber).
My question is can the holes/dimples be welded up and will it be safe to do so.
It seems a shame to scrap the barrel if it can be welded.
Please let me know if welding is a good safe option.
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Lawmax3

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
why the hell didn't he press the barrel out first then drill the rivets?? :sad:

Yeah, you can weld up the holes, but I wouldn't chance it myself.
My face and hands are worth more then the cost of a replacement barrel.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I think your machinist owes you about $200, as long as you were explicit about not drilling into the barrel.

Welding will only make the metal integrity more questionable. Based on your description I think the prudent thing is to scrap it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Ditto... if you gave clear instructions? Inform him of what the depth stop on his press is for, and bill for damages.

You MIGHT be able to "fix" the barrel. But tell me - how are you going to feel EVERY TIME you pull the trigger on that thing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not sure why he didn't press first then drill. And I am really confused on why he drilled the rivets so deep.
Guess I have to take some of the blame. I should have been more clear on how/when to remove the rivets.
It stinks but, looks like scrapping is the best solution.
Can anyone tell me what barrels will fit the amd 63 kit? Will it have to be specifically for the 63 or will something like a Romanian barrel work?
Any idea where to get a replacement barrel only?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,321 Posts
I learned that machinist are not necessarily good gunsmiths. Lesson Learned.....
That is a understatement. Machinist are just that, "Machinist". They are trained to fabricate from raw stock and not for deconstruction and tear down of already built assemblies.

A few years back, we attempted to cross train a few machinist to be general aircraft mechanics to ride out a lay-off. Out of 20 we gave OJT, at least 15 were just not cutting it (no pun intended) and had to be laid off. Their mindset is just different in many ways. Certain mind types are geared for certain work. Machinist are a different breed of their own.

·
Banned
4,277 Posts
lawmax3 said:
Can anyone tell me what barrels will fit the amd 63 kit? Will it have to be specifically for the 63 or will something like a Romanian barrel work?
Any idea where to get a replacement barrel only?
Thanks.
The trunion on the AMD is a standard AKM trunion, so any European barrel (Romanian) will fit in that trunion. However, you will now need to buy a set of headspace gauges (GO/ NO-GO), as the headspace will be different, so you will need to headspace that "new" barrel to the bolt. Which will involve you re-drilling a larger barrel pin hole, after setting the headspace, and putting a oversize barrel pin

in that short screw up he did, he just made your job a bit more involved

I know that K-VAR has oversize barrel pins, and they probably also have barrel assy.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
There is an old saying:

Nothing worse than a machinist who thinks he is a gunsmith........
And a gunsmith who thinks he is a machinist........

I unfortunately have seen too many of these cases over the years.

Not saying they are all bad, but just because someone can run a mill or a lathe with extreme competence does not indicate they have firearms knowledge. There are many nuances about firearms most machinists do not understand; but people think they do because they have knowledge on how to run the machines. Nothing worse than equating knowledge from one to thinking there is knowledge in the other in other than the basics and possible rudimentery knowledge: sure guns are machined but so are some car parts-would you take you car to a machinist to diagnose or fix or to a mechanic?

Albeit some of the best gunsmiths I know were machinists but they also received some form gunsmith training/apprenticeship after being machinists or tool and die makers.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
how deep are the holes exactly vs. the barrel OD? Jus thinking out loud, a chinese barrel is only 19mm, if the integrity of the barrel is still 19mm od, wouldn't it be ok??

·
Registered
682 Posts
how deep are the holes exactly? measure with a micrometer. if they're less than the depth of the barrel pin channel, you're probably safe. he is a bad machinist though. copes has romanian barrels.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did this before with a similar problem:
1. fill one hole with red play-dough
2. fill other hole with blue play-dough
3. bake in a barbie easy-bake oven for 10 minutes
4. re-install on water pistol

for a REAL gun...throw it away. It aint worth it. I promise.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Its junk now

imagine what the barrel and trunnion faces are going to look like???

machinist....I dont think he is one, or he just did not give a rats azz

·
Registered
69 Posts
is it possible the machinist thought the rivets needed to be removed in order to pull the barrel? Our machinist at our plant came over to help us work on one of our machine rebuilds. They are a breed apart, the running joke was he's never seen so many uses of a claw hammer when rebuilding a press. But when it comes to whittling down a piece of stock into something useful. A good machinist is a great person to have around. Jim

·
Registered
385 Posts
Drilling Barrel

I had a guy drill one hole into the barrel. I then had a welder tig weld the hole and I went on with the build. I have been shooting it with n problems. He drilled about a 1/16 into it and less on another hole. Has worked fine. The barrel had to be dressed and once pressed back into the trunion it was OK.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If it is more than half of the thickness of the chamber-pitch it. Otherwise, Tig it, dress the welds and re-use it. You still have a trunion that surrounds that barrel.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Koyotejager said:
If it is more than half of the thickness of the chamber-pitch it. Otherwise, Tig it, dress the welds and re-use it. You still have a trunion that surrounds that barrel.
If it's less than 1/2 the thickness I wouldn't bother welding it... you are likely to make matters worse by creating a heat affected zone of a different temper. It's either going to be ok, or not ok. If it's too thin just get a new barrel.

Mark

·
Registered
261 Posts
Markp said:
Koyotejager said:
If it's less than 1/2 the thickness I wouldn't bother welding it... you are likely to make matters worse by creating a heat affected zone of a different temper. It's either going to be ok, or not ok. If it's too thin just get a new barrel.

Mark

your right, not to mention it is a seriously critical area,given the enourmous pressures around the chamber. also, I think some may want to note its not just one, ITS 4 HOLES !!! half way through.

Its not worth losing the side of your face over, thats for sure.

I still am, amazed at how brainless the guy was that did it !! :shock:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts