AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a guy on the filesforum who claims it was the germans who set up maadi factory 54. He says that maadi's are in fact german knock offs not russian. Can anyone give me an explanation with some substance besides "I heard" to clear this up a bit? Thats the first I have heard of it but I have never really seen a definitive source that says it was the ruskies.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,292 Posts
The guy is smoking crack. The Soviets might have had a few East German "friends" help set the plant up but it was the Soviets who helped them setup shop and provide technical assistance. I think the confusion is that the Egyptians made some folder rifles that had a East German design aspect to it.

Hootbro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
He's doing crack.

A good idenifying feature is that the E.G AKM guns did not have cleaning rods or butt traps for the kit.

Lollygagger :neutral:
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
The Russians set up the plant and then bombed the place when the Egyptians kicked them out. MV out!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,292 Posts
MontanaVet said:
The Russians set up the plant and then bombed the place when the Egyptians kicked them out. MV out!
Got a source for that? Never heard that angle before.

Hootbro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
I would like to know the source for this as well.

If the Russians "bombed" the Maadi factory, which is in Cairo, not out in the sticks, why did they not bomb the Aswan dam which they(USSR) were building as well and cost a LOT more BTW and was a more viable target?
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
"Got a source for that? Never heard that angle before."


Late 70's US Military deployment. I was there. The evidence was still there. It seems the US was supplying Israel with F-4 Phantoms and in an effort to get the Soviets out of Egypt they made a deal with the Egyptians. The links do not say, but I know for a fact the Soviets bombed Egypt on the way out. MV out!

EDIT- Maybe I stated it wrong. The Soviets bombed everything they could when they were kicked out of Egypt. Runways, equipment, etc, not just factories. The US moved in to stop the Soviet expansion in the region. Deals were made way above my lowly level in the military. That is all I know or care to talk about.

THE RUSSIANS ARE GOING

War of Attrition, 1969-1970

Rebirth of the Ballistic Missile Effort, 1974 - Present
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,759 Posts
MV was there during operation Proud Phantom(?), when we were making nice with the Egyptians to try to gain a foothold in the Middle East ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,181 Posts
Even if it did happen, it didnt effect production on Russian pattern. Look at the Steyr MAADIs...

I doubt the E.Germans would help either, as they were a Soviet puppet state.

Russians just leave when they are kicked out... Seen in in West Africa to in abandoned Soviet Military adviser offices.... Just one they were gone. They left behind everything, even stuff like family photos.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
"Russians just leave when they are kicked out"

I guess it could have been Israel doing the bombing, BUT I WAS TOLD IT WAS THE RUSSIANS WHEN THEY LEFT. We did get buzzed once very alarmingly by a plane that did not belong to Egypt. It pulled out so close from the bomb dive I could feel the heat from the afterburners. Enough said on this subject. It does not matter now. MV out!

Here is an Egyptian with a Maadi.



He is me back in the day before we wore the BDU uniform.



Here is an F-4 Phantom up close. Too close. I don't remember what country this one was from. Maybe Turkey or Greece.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
MontanaVet said:
"Russians just leave when they are kicked out"

I guess it could have been Israel doing the bombing, BUT I WAS TOLD IT WAS THE RUSSIANS WHEN THEY LEFT. We did get buzzed once very alarmingly by a plane that did not belong to Egypt. It pulled out so close from the bomb dive I could feel the heat from the afterburners. Enough said on this subject. It does not matter now. MV out!
I dont think anyone was looking for an argument, just more info on the Maadi's in general.

I was thinking the same thing, that is the bombing was by the IDF/AF as that was a common occurance about that time late 60's-early 70's and a small arms factory would be a nice target.

I could also see the Russians being somewhat vindictive to the Egyptians over all that happened.
They had a large presence there even a sub base in Alexandria and I know they hated giving up the foothold in the Med.
BTW thanks for the links, that was good reading.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
That's cool. Peace! MV out!

EDIT- During the "Cold War" the US was always testing technology and trying to stop the Soviet expansion. Look at all the Soviet block weapons in Vietnam. There were many incidents worldwide that never even made the news. The only thing that never happened was to fight the Soviets directly, even though there are rumors of Soviet pilots in some of the equipment we engaged. Who knows for sure?

They still make kick-ass weapons which command respect!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,181 Posts
MontanaVet said:
That's cool. Peace! MV out!

EDIT- During the "Cold War" the US was always testing technology and trying to stop the Soviet expansion. Look at all the Soviet block weapons in Vietnam. There were many incidents worldwide that never even made the news. The only thing that never happened was to fight the Soviets directly, even though there are rumors of Soviet pilots in some of the equipment we engaged. Who knows for sure?

They still make kick-ass weapons which command respect!
Actually, I had a Russian guy tell me that the last time he met a US soldier was in 1972, in Hanoi.....
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top