AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Great site you have here, I've been learning a ton. I've had a MAK90 and a Maadi RML (pars import) both with clunky thumbhole stock for a while and I've gotten the itch to start modifying them.

I've also been toying with the idea of just selling both and buying one of Arsenal's offerings. I know all of the above are great rifles. I've never handled any arsenal products but have read only good things.

Just wondering how the experts think these rifles stack up. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
I am going to say this right at the beginning that most Arsenal rifles are very nice. That said, I seriously doubt they will hold or appreciate in value as the Norincos or Maadis did.

The Norincos were very nicely made rifles with arguably the best factory trigger feel of any commercially imported rifle. Due to import restrictions they are really starting to go up in value, and to be honest, in the days of $250 MAK-90s I would never have dreamed they would sell for $700, so where will they be in another 10 years?

Maadis are highly regarded because they were built on Soviet tooling that was moved to Egypt, making them "almost" a Russian AKM. For that reason they hold their value and like the Norincos have really increased beyond any of us older collector's dreams.

My two cents, for what it is worth, do not get rid of a MAK-90 and an RML for any Arsenal AK variant. Yes they might stack up well against the Norinco or Maadi, but they are not Norincos or Maadis to crazy like me collectors. ;)

·
Registered
837 Posts
I agree withe Indykid. There will not be any more Norinco or Pars Maadis imported in the foreseeable future, so these rifles that you have will only go up in value. Plus, they both are factory rifles with original, chrome-lined, chf barrels. Arsenal rifles are also very nice (receivers, barrels, & all), but they are still being imported, and at best for now, their values are holding steady.

If I were you, I would keep these rifles, and just replace the stocks (and anything else necessary to successfully and legally play the 922r game). Keep the thumbholes and any other parts you swap-out in order to be able to return the rifle to 'as-imported' state if you decide to sell one or the other later on.

-otus

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
I am going to say this right at the beginning that most Arsenal rifles are very nice. That said, I seriously doubt they will hold or appreciate in value as the Norincos or Maadis did.

The Norincos were very nicely made rifles with arguably the best factory trigger feel of any commercially imported rifle. Due to import restrictions they are really starting to go up in value, and to be honest, in the days of $250 MAK-90s I would never have dreamed they would sell for $700, so where will they be in another 10 years?

Maadis are highly regarded because they were built on Soviet tooling that was moved to Egypt, making them "almost" a Russian AKM. For that reason they hold their value and like the Norincos have really increased beyond any of us older collector's dreams.

My two cents, for what it is worth, do not get rid of a MAK-90 and an RML for any Arsenal AK variant. Yes they might stack up well against the Norinco or Maadi, but they are not Norincos or Maadis to crazy like me collectors. ;)
I agree withe Indykid. There will not be any more Norinco or Pars Maadis imported in the foreseeable future, so these rifles that you have will only go up in value. Plus, they both are factory rifles with original, chrome-lined, chf barrels. Arsenal rifles are also very nice (receivers, barrels, & all), but they are still being imported, and at best for now, their values are holding steady.

If I were you, I would keep these rifles, and just replace the stocks (and anything else necessary to successfully and legally play the 922r game). Keep the thumbholes and any other parts you swap-out in order to be able to return the rifle to 'as-imported' state if you decide to sell one or the other later on.

-otus
I really can't add anymore than what these members already said. Great sound advice.

Think of it this way, look at the expensive chi com rifles and realize your MAK will be there in value some day. Nobody thought that chi com AKs would be anywhere near $1000, $2000, or even $4000 back in the heyday. As people are buying these rifles to stash away into their collection there will be (is) a big empty hole for new collectors wanting a chi com AK. The MAK will become the next best thing and prices will go up.

Either way, I wouldn't even consider selling one of my romy md65 underfolders for a new arsenal. They just don't make them anymore.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
It depends on what you like or want. A MAK90 is a $650-$700 but add another $100-$200 in cost if you want it debanned or to look like an AK.
The Maadi is worth a bit less and the same to de-ban. The whole Maadi like a Russian is kind of folklore. By the time the ban era Maadi's were imported the quality and finish and components were really rough. The wood & metal have little resemblance to Russian manufacture. In the early pre-ban era they were built better and compared to the Chinese or Hungarian or Mitchell imports they "looked" the most Russian.

If you want a rifle that looks and acts like an AK74 or an AKM there are better choices IMHO. Yugo PAP rifles, some Arsenals etc.
I think value wise the Maadi and MAK90 are topped out and will appreciate like most other type of AK's etc.

·
Banned
950 Posts
It depends on what you like or want. A MAK90 is a $650-$700 but add another $100-$200 in cost if you want it debanned or to look like an AK.
The Maadi is worth a bit less and the same to de-ban. The whole Maadi like a Russian is kind of folklore. But the time the ban era Maadi's were imported the quality and finish and components are really rough. The wood & metal have little resemblance to Russian manufacture. In the early ore-ban era they were built better and compared to the Chinese or Hungarian or Mitchell imports they "looked" the most Russian.

If you want a rifle that looks and acts like an AK74 or an AKM there are better choices IMHO. Yugo PAP rifles, some Arsenals etc.
I think value wise the Maadi and MAK90 are topped out and will appreciate like most other type of AK's etc.

Un-banning costs a little more than a couple hundred bucks, maybe for the parts but not the labor. $35 US internals, $20 piston, $15 muzzle brake, $30 US pistol grip, $35 new gas block. Another $200-$300 to have the piston swapped, gas block pressed off then replaced, muzzle threaded and then partially re-finished.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Un-banning costs a little more than a couple hundred bucks, maybe for the parts but not the labor. $35 US internals, $20 piston, $15 muzzle brake, $30 US pistol grip, $35 new gas block. Another $200-$300 to have the piston swapped, gas block pressed off then replaced, muzzle threaded and then partially re-finished.

I was assuming most owners can do those basic operations themselves. But tool access and some shop skills are required. And it depends on GB and FSB swap vs the simple 922r and basic buttstock and grip changes.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts

I've had all three variants at times. I traded a couple MAk90's,sold my shark gill brake SAM7 for stupid money but I held on to this debanned Maadi I got from a Xcibes here years ago. I put the wood on myself and I guess it's my more or less safe queen AK.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I get the appeal of Arsenals, and own one myself. They are the only game in town for certain AK's.

They are all functionally more or less the same though, and I can't say that I'd trade two AK's for one.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Nothing wrong or less desirable about a debanned MAK-90 or a Maadi. Adding the bayonet lug back and threading a muzzle will require some funds or more "advanced" tools than most will have but everything else to include changing the piston out can be done with simple tools and gives you a rifle identical to the real thing minus the full auto capability

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Sell them and get one 104FR and one 107FR to replace them.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Nothing wrong or less desirable about a debanned MAK-90 or a Maadi. Adding the bayonet lug back and threading a muzzle will require some funds or more "advanced" tools than most will have but everything else to include changing the piston out can be done with simple tools and gives you a rifle identical to the real thing minus the full auto capability
I do not think there was any indication of "wrong or right"., just depends on the look and type and work and money that one decides to commit. A $700 MAK or Maadi will need a minimum of $100 and some work and up to $200+ easily. So for $800- $900 you have a debanned firearm. For that money you are at an N-PAP or O-PAP and mags and some ammo or closer to an Arsenal or a kit build from Atlantic Firearms in the various types they offer etc. Just depends on what you like or prefer.
Whatever works for the buyer etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own two Mak 93's and and the arsenal slr 107fr. The mak feels so much lighter on the front end. I took off the tapco side folding stock and put on wooden stock and really enjoy it. I seem toget a little better groups with the maks, but di not buy ak to shoot squirels. The painted finish is annoying on post ban arsenal cause i cannot use solvents on it. kinda getto.
also arsenal has side mount scope rail. I slapped my eotech exps3-2 and maybe shot a little better. Problem with that is you are like 3" away from barrell.
I am considering putting on an ironwood designs stock set on arsenal but may sell or trade toward another preban ak.
I will also add the factory trigger and grip is crap on arsenal but can be fixed swapped out for hogue and g2 for $50.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man! Thanks for all the feedback everyone. After some consideration I've decided to keep my rifles and have some fun modifying them. I just ordered a Vltor stock adaptor and Magpul CTR and some hogue grip and hand guard for starters. I know the purists will scoff but oh well. Thanks again for all the input!

·
Banned
950 Posts
Man! Thanks for all the feedback everyone. After some consideration I've decided to keep my rifles and have some fun modifying them. I just ordered a Vltor stock adaptor and Magpul CTR and some hogue grip and hand guard for starters. I know the purists will scoff but oh well. Thanks again for all the input!

Not everyone was meant to make sound choices in life.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Please do us all a favor and keep the old take off parts. If you ever sell the rifle the value will be a little more with all the factory parts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Heh, you guys no likey the plastic stuff huh? I was thinking of doing an ergo/tactical thing with one and keeping the other a little more traditional with the wood furniture. Is Ironwood the best option for US made furniture? I've heard it's a wait but worth it. Of course I will keep the thumbhole stock and og handguards😎. Thanks again for your time all!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts