AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first off ill just say that I am 100% new to the AK world. My main area of interest is older military surplus firearms but I figure with the election coming up I need to go ahead and make a move on an AK. A gentleman has offered to sell me his PARS import Egyptian Maadi. The slant brake looks a bit off to me in the pictures he sent. Like I said above I know nothing about AKs but from pictures ive seen the muzzle brake fits right up behind the front sight. Ive attached a few pictures. Is this what it is supposed to look like? If not, is this easily fixable? Is this a muzzle thread issue or a front sight issue? Thanks yall for any help yall can provide!
image4.jpeg
image3.jpeg

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Have him take the brake completely off and provide a photo. Hard to tell from the photo, but it may be a post ban where someone removed the welded on muzzle nut and made their own threads but didn't go all the way to the front sight block like they should have. You will want to make sure it's the correct 14x1 LH thread type, too.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
These are the threads I cut into my MAK90. You can't get all the way to the front sight block with it in place but you can get really close with the right tools.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Here's what the Egyptian Maadi threads look like from the factory:

·
Registered
1,839 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Agree that you should get some pics with the brake off. The barrel actually looks undercut behind the threads. Is that as far as the brake goes on?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First off, thank you very much guys for your replies. The owner attempted to unscrew it by hand to no avail and understandably didnt want to mar the finish with a wrench. He did provide these 2 pics below. Most all of the Pars imports ive observed on my search have had the threads turned down so i assumed a previous owner had threaded this barrel. I was hoping that perhaps somehow the front sight was pushed back too far when they removed it to thread the barrel but if its an issue of having it rethreaded im probably just gonna keep waiting for the right one
1597209979228_image0.jpeg
1597209981614_image1.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
These are the threads I cut into my MAK90. You can't get all the way to the front sight block with it in place but you can get really close with the right tools.
jjjxlr8; I have a MAK90 I want to remove the welded nut and thread. Are you able to use the detent and spring on the fsb to lock on a muzzle device? Is the hole there?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
That barrel condition is a definite negotiating factor.

Best case: Maybe you can use a penetrant and unthread the brake and the threads are usable. That apparent 'undercut' would be unseen if the threads are usable or repairable.

Worst case. Maybe it's so buggered up that you have to split the brake to get it off. And the thread condition underneath cannot be threaded to either M14x1 LH or 1/2-28 RH. Then maybe you can rework the muzzle and have some type of adapter made, but probably a custom job.

It's a crap shoot, and a shame, because a PARS Maadi is a nice deban candidate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Decided to pass on the Maadi. Seemed to be too much trouble for my taste. Thank you all very much for your help and lemme know if yall ever have a line on a Maadi :)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
jjjxlr8; I have a MAK90 I want to remove the welded nut and thread. Are you able to use the detent and spring on the fsb to lock on a muzzle device? Is the hole there?
Thanks
I don't know what your MAK90 has and there are a few different variations. Mine had no threads and no hole in the FSB for the detent. If yours has a muzzle nut welded on it will have the factory threads underneath. You should be able to look at your FSB and see if it has a hole for the plunger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts