AK Rifles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was shooting the Maadi ARM I recently purchased when the upper handguard popped off. The upper handguard is an Ironwood Designs standard AKM length upper. I put a retainer clip/spring on it when I got home, but it still came off with no effort. Upon taking a closer look, I noticed that the space where the upper handguard is installed is longer than the upper handguard itself. The rifle did not come with an upper handguard installed. The gas tube is numbered and its paint scheme matches the rest of the rifle, but the three digit number does not match that of the receiver. Am I correct in assuming that I'll need a standard AKM gas tube to replace it? If anyone has a Maadi gas tube please PM me.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
Looks like you got a yugo gas tube.

And yes, you need a standard gas tube. They can be had for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told that the weld has come loose and I should put it back in place and MIG weld it back to the tube underneath. I was able to put it back in its original location by hitting it with a rubber mallet. It'll probably work its way loose again.

·
Technical Advisor
15,527 Posts
Yes., as noted on the other site..., loose ferrule. A small tack weld on the bottom of the ferrule should fix it if you can find a local welder who will do it for a decent fee etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts