AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Ok, I bought this Maadi Arm back in November. Nice Rifle - Typical Crappy Finish - Muzzle Nut - Thumbhole stock. This thing needed help. Photos in each section will be added. This might take me a couple days to compile them all.

I hate to see I can't find the original pics

#1 - I promptly contacted Z_Recto (Kevin) to see what he had for Russian Furniture and his custom Grips. He mentioned Early January at the earliest. Sounds fine to me. [:D] Who am I to argue with an artist.

#2 - Dremelled the old muzzle nut off. Took about 10-15 minutes going nice and slow. Threads looked great once the nut was off.

#3 - Sent the Bolt Carrier & Piston to Glen Riddle at Magnum Gunsmithing. He replaced the piston with a US piston and Gunkoted the carrier to 'FLAT BLACK' my choice that I was going to apply at home. He charged $35 shipped for this.

#4 - Placed a WTB add for a Single Hook G2. An AR15.com member (ViC) down in FL hooked me up promptly! I swear he and I just swap parts back and forth.

#5 - Started taking the Maadi apart. The wood was an absolute mess IMHO. It was promptly tossed into the fire place. Smelled kind of funny as it was burning [}:D] .. I know a shame, but it sucked.

#6 - Fire up the compressor to strip the Maadi with Aluminum Oxide. Note: The resipirator on top of the compressor [;)]

Note: We also a worked on a new Arsenal 105 something and another. Love the gun - the finish sucks almost as bad as a maadi ... Anyway, the Arsenal and Maadi were to be stripped with aluminum Oxide, Then Parked, Then Gun Koted in Flat Black

Blasting Booth - Nothing special - $90 toy from Harbor Freight. Man do you go through the glass in these booths.

Inside the booth. There my gas tube is. I spent about 2 hours looking for that damn thing!!!

Ahhh. The maadi is all stripped. Disregard all my fal parts (Working on almost 6 of those kits right now)

My long parking tank. This is a must have to get the long barells into. A gentleman on CSP sells these to members for 50 or 55 shipped - was a steal.

My badger 400 airbrush - must have for applying the finish. Oh yea, let me tell you Badger's customer service is 2nd to none. I broke this (dont ask me about dropping it) on a Sunday. Sent it to Badger Priority mail on Monday. I received this Unit Back Thursday REFURBED for FREE. Badger rocks!!!

Out of the park tank - into cold running water - onto a towel. Note: I learned somthing new in this section. I'm still going to oil-up the parts with clp when they come out of the park / and cold water treatment. Oil them up - let them air dry an hour or so - wipe them off and into the oven to bake off the excess oil. I tested this on a part and the final finish under the gunkote rocked big time [;)]

Maadi and the Arsenal preparing to be gun koted.

Ok, a little of Z_Recto's magic. Here is the before of my buttstock and HG's

My Buttstock is the third from the top. I can tell by the unusual stamp on the side.

Final Product - So Damn nice!

Ok, Tomorrow nite I'll post the final pics of the Maadi. Let me know if you need any further details.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I was wondering where this thread went :roll:

Just buy a new cam and get it over with.
We need pics of the done deal, man.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Best buy has 5 days left to fix the camera or replace it. I have a feeling I will be buying one this week for a backup. I use these camera's non stop from my kids to our trips to my toys!!!

I can't wait to post it.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Tell us about home parking. Where can we get it, how it works ect. ...

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some quick pics today. These pics were taken under 4 40w Daylite bright bulbs on a shoplight.

Finally got pics of this project.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Very nice job. So you parked it first than guncoat is that correct?
I have and old Maadi preban style in bad shape, seeing your job gives me great hope for mine. I was thing of selling it. But it is really hard for me to sell anything.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SASM7,

Yes, I Sandblasted it with Aluiminum oxide. Flushed all the pieces with BRAKE CLEANER - almost a can and half. This cleaned and degreased everything. I then took it immediatly and put into my slop sink. Soaked it in hot water. Drained - soaked in hot water again. Repeated this several times. Then into the park tank. 5 minutes of fizzing - it's done. rinse ICE COLD WATER 5 minutes or so. I then placed into the oven to heat it up. Spray it with gunkote. Light passes - very light passes. Cook for an hour and put it back together.

:mrgreen:

It's that simple. :wink:

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Thanks for info. You say simple, Yea right, maybe to you but a beginner in building? There is alot to learn. I know how to refinish the wood and few minor things. That would work good on my Maadi. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SASM7,

Ok, I think I'm parking 2 more AK's this weekend. I will take step by step photos of the entire process. Believe me its very simple. The biggest pain in the a$$ is the puchase of the long park tank for the barelled actions.

Not sure where Krinkfreak will want that posted - so, I'll post a link of it in this thread.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fury_58 said:
Beautiful job.

It seems a lot of guys are doing the Russian clone thing w/Maadis lately. . .I approve!
Fury-58.

Thanks! I think many are doing the Russian clone with the Maadi's cause they were 'supposedly' made on Russian Tooling. It was a fun project and highly recommend it to anyone :wink:

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Yeah, I had read the same thing. If I could find a decent looking postban Maadi for cheap, I'd snatch it up and do the same thing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts