AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yugo underfolding stock and assembly that I need installed on my M92PV. I already have my Form 1 stamp. I am looking for a good AK gunsmith in or near Ohio. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it an underfolder rear trunnon?
Yes it’s an underfolder trunnion, but it hasn’t been milled out for assembly. In other words there aren’t any cutouts for the underfolder components to pass through. I was wonderful if you could use a template to mark the outside of the receiver, then drill/dremel through the receiver and trunnion in order to make the necessary openings on both sides.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
so you are saying the trunnion does not already have the holes no problem. I had the same and there are youtube videos on this. I set the stock in place on the recever in the folded position clamp or ziptie in place and locate it to where it will sit finally. I drilled pilot holes first and got them to size then drilled out the larger two holes. I used a dewalt step bit to 5/8 I think. took a file and file the two large holes a little to accept the core and assemble.
AK builder has rear trunnion templates you can use but still need to alter those as your trunnion rivets will interfere. I have an M70 underfolder and used that as a guide instead for the placement and marking of the holes. I drill each side not straight through one side to the other. calipers or a micrometer help with sizing the drill bits.
take your time.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Also as I remember, I took a 1" x 8" new pine board and once the receiver was stripped I layed the receiver on the pine board centered and I hit the receiver gently with a rubber mallot against the board to get thde rivet placement. I then drilled the indents out so the receiver had a flat surface and won't rock. I then cut the board to fit on drill press and able to clamp boar and receiver to the deck of drill press. maybe an obvious or unnecessary tip.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what your saying is it can be done without removing the rear trunnion, by starting with pilot holes, then larger holes for the core? I was told that I’d have to remove the trunnion because there are holes in the trunnion that are not in the receiver. Not sure if this is true or not. I can’t find any YouTube videos or tutorials on this conversion. Does anyone have a link to such?

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Absolutely, at one time you could buy Serb made AK pistols that had UF trunions installed.
All one had to do is file the form 1 then when it came in start drilling out the holes.

It takes a bit more care to do it right but totally workable.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
also the stock is clamped to the receiver and the hole locations marked with pencil, i ran the pencil around the stock arm holes.. then removed stock and used a square and a sharp pencil to measure and mark center of the holes you penciled. get a center punch for all the cross hairs and drill your pilot holes and ork your way to correct size. It's only the core holes that are just a "C" hair bigger than 5/8" so you will need to carefully file those holes a bit and keep fit checking. If you cross hair mark your hales marks you can compare how close you are from side to side for accuracy before drilling a hole.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciate all the tips. I’ve never taken on a project like this. Kind of frightening to think about. I’m still debating on trying to find someone who I can have do it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
just a word of caution, if you are using a yugo pattern stock you should cut the trunnion likewise or you'll end up with a goofy angle to your stock.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gotcha. Yes, I know that the Yugo folders extend pretty much flat, while Romanian, Polish, etc have a downward angle.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Yes yugos are I think 2 degrees off from the standard akm underfolder. This is why I clamped the stock folded to the receiver and traced the inside of the holes on the receiver. You then get the correct angle.
AK BLUE might chime in about the difference in hole placement for the yugo style.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts