AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a M92 kit that the previous owner tried to rit die the hand guards is there any way to remove the die without having to sand the handguards? I used some mild soap and water and also wood cleaner it just removed the die off the surface.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
Are you wanting to get rid of all traces of the what I supposing is faux Russian red finish to get to the natural look of the wood or you just don't like that shade of red, like it's too bright or something?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to get the natural wood look for a more factory finish if possible at this point. Any suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I would like to get the natural wood look for a more factory finish if possible at this point. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Without sanding you're left with a chemical or citrus based stripper. I'd try the more natural based stuff first but I've never tried to remove red dye so it could be a toss up if it works or not.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Try denatured alcohol and fine steel wool. If that doesn't work acetone with fine steel wool.

Because these types of handguards come unfinished, they are very absorbent. That dye most likely is fairly deep and bleach might be the only option.

dilute it in water, wear gloves and scrub with a toothbrush.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Yu can try diluted two cups of laundry bleach in a gallon of water. Submerse it for a couple of hours. Be sure to rinse it thoroughly after pulling it. from the bleach solution.
The best method of bleaching wood is Oxalic Acid.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. I finally had some free time to work on my kit. The bleach method worked great.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Slap em in the dishwasher then rub em down with motor oil. It's a Zastava

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
I know it was a semi-joke., but motor oil can work but really it is not a drying oil and will weep under heat if applied very heavily. BLO or Tung oil are better as they are drying oils that actually harden up over a period of days and remain stable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts