AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I have been putting off getting one of these for a long time. But I am going to a large show soon and I would like to pick one up. What are y'all seeing price wise on these now a days? Not looking for a collectors but a good shooter. Anything I need to be on the watch out for on them?

Thanks
Old Sarge

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
About $150-$180 but not much good stuff anymore. Most are 1941-1944, re arsenal'd with frosty barrels and counter bored. Overall just look down the barrel. Some are black, others you can still see some shine. Make sure you get a bayonet since 91/30s were sighted in with the bayo mounted. Some shoot just fine without it while others pattern like a shotgun.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
About $150-$180 but not much good stuff anymore. Most are 1941-1944, re arsenal'd with frosty barrels and counter bored. Overall just look down the barrel. Some are black, others you can still see some shine. Make sure you get a bayonet since 91/30s were sighted in with the bayo mounted. Some shoot just fine without it while others pattern like a shotgun.
+1 on the current prices.

The bayonet will usually only effect the POI. if it patterns like a shotgun, there's an issue beyond just the bayonet being attached, or not and it's easy to drift the front sight to correct for shooting without it.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Cabela's is selling them for $139 at the moment if I am not mistaken, and since it's near you, it might be worth checking out.

I honestly haven't been tracking Mosin prices at the shows here since I haven't been in the market for one. However, now that I have a hankering for a Peter the Great Tula, that will change...

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.
Sounds like as long as it looks good, check for matching # and the barrel is not a counter bored sewer pipe it should be ok? Is solid stock vs laminated, both the same or is one preferred over the other?

M2
I will check them out this weekend and see what they have.

Thanks
Old Sarge

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Thanks guys.
Sounds like as long as it looks good, check for matching # and the barrel is not a counter bored sewer pipe it should be ok? Is solid stock vs laminated, both the same or is one preferred over the other?

M2
I will check them out this weekend and see what they have.

Thanks
Old Sarge
Laminate stocks are pretty (to some) and less common. So, some people will pay more for them. However, they are postwar refurb stocks (99.999% of them, anyway. They started making them in '43 or '44, but wartime laminates are extremely rare), so to most collectors they don't really hold any historical value. I would much rather have a prewar Tula/Izhevsk marked stock in excellent condition with sharp cartouches, but that's just me.

·
Registered
710 Posts
$150 at the absolute cheapest, on up to $200, depending on which store you go to.

I figure, if I buy one online for $100, I'm going to have to deal with FFL fees, so I might as well just buy straight from the store. It will cost me the same either way.

I've got a '38 and '33.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$150 at the absolute cheapest, on up to $200, depending on which store you go to.

I figure, if I buy one online for $100, I'm going to have to deal with FFL fees, so I might as well just buy straight from the store. It will cost me the same either way.

I've got a '38 and '33.
That's kinda what I was thinking. I saw them for sale a couple of places on the net for $119.00 on up. But by the time I paid shipping and a dealer to receive it? I figure its going to be at least $145ish to me. I wouldn't have the opportunity to check the bore and if its counter bored. If you got a dog you would be stuck with it. At least if I look at several in a store I have no one but myself to blame for picking a dog out.

Old Sarge

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Get an 03 FFL ($30 for three years, and takes about a month to get), and you can have them shipped right to your door! ;)

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
709 Posts
That's kinda what I was thinking. I saw them for sale a couple of places on the net for $119.00 on up. But by the time I paid shipping and a dealer to receive it? I figure its going to be at least $145ish to me. I wouldn't have the opportunity to check the bore and if its counter bored. If you got a dog you would be stuck with it. At least if I look at several in a store I have no one but myself to blame for picking a dog out.

Old Sarge
C&R is great, Century had them for $59 a few years ago bought a few and they even sent some hex reciever ones. all were refinished with great bores. C&R is well worth the money.

·
Super Moderator
25,774 Posts
Are you looking specifically for a 91/30, or something that specifically shoots 54R?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Are you looking specifically for a 91/30, or something that specifically shoots 54R?
Hi Joe
Just looking for a shooter. So 91, 91/30 what ever I can get a deal on. I just want one of them long Russian guns. I have a M44 and couple of M53's (I think, the ones that look like a M44 without the bayonet on it?) I would really like to find one of the Finnish ones (M28 or something like that). But the last few I have seen were more then I was willing to pay for them.

I am going to have to look into the C&R FFL.

Old Sarge

1 - 20 of 29 Posts