AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the lower handguards for the M90/95 5.56 rifles interchangeable with M70 handguards? I'm looking at the Ironwood M70 bulged AKM style lower handguard and curious as to whether it would fit a M95.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not sure but I would sey they are.
Anyway, ask them, I asked the same question about using that handguard for my M76, and they answered quickly. In my case, it would need to be adaped since M76 barrel is thicker.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Are the lower handguards for the M90/95 5.56 rifles interchangeable with M70 handguards? I'm looking at the Ironwood M70 bulged AKM style lower handguard and curious as to whether it would fit a M95.
95-90=yes to 70 although close and will need some fitting. Thing is about all the 95's Ive seen(and sold mine :( ) is that most of the ones Ive seen are new demilled kits. The one I built had the most gorgeous and color finish match, I did have to do some filling and shaping to get the lower to be a better fit on the original! This has been my experience.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
The M90/95 lower has a wider inletting to accommodate the larger diameter barrel. It also lacks the cleaning rod channel. It is inlet in front more as well and shimming might be needed. It can work but in reality the M70, M90 and M76 are all different though their external profile and length are the same. The rear ferrules differ as well..

M70 will not fit M95., too narrow internal dimensions.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since my M95 was custom built on a NDS-9 receiver the rear ferrule may not be an issue. I'll pull the handguard currently on it, and compare it to the M70 handguard from my APEX M70B1 kit for internal dimensions and the rear ferrule size. The wood on it is an Ironwood teak set, which at the time was only available to be cut for the M70, so for all I know the only mod I might need to make to the Irownwood bulged handguard is properly inletting it for the 5.56 barrel.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
It will take a bunch of inletting work. You can swap the rear ferrule or cut the M70 to fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts