AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PART 1

This is my M85 Pistol.

It feels sad and inferior as it has no stock. And the saddest part of this tale, is that it's right to be sad.

The last trip to the range we were primarily shooting CQB drills, and I was able to try a new Tavor against the tried and true M4.

I would have liked to have run the M85 as well for comparative purposes, but an AK PISTOL isn't really a practical choice for it. (I had primarily taken the M85 to the range to test for function and indeed it ran flawlessly.)

Coming to the realization I would never be happy with the M85 as a pistol I decided it was time to birth a carbine.

After much deliberation I decided I wanted to keep it more or less traditional/Yugoslavian.

A Yugoslavian underfolding stock was ordered from here:
Yugo M92/PAP Underfolder Stock w/ internal parts
Stock arrived quickly and in like new condition. Good to go!

And the somewhat problematic hunt for an appropriate faux can began. Firstly, the threading on the M85 and the M92 is pretty atypical, narrowing down ones choices drastically. Secondly, none of the cans looked much like the purported Zastava cans shown in this thread:
http://www.theakforum.net/forums/17-krinkovs/137153-krinkov-fake-suppressors-3.html

Thanks to forum member Ctrax - problem solved:
http://www.theakforum.net/forums/35...08-wts-zastava-faux-silencer.html#post1543277

Man that looks good. Ordered today!

(I may or may not send in a tax stamp to uncle sugar in order to remove the faux can at a later date. Regardless there in, I don't want to wait a year or more to get my stamp back before I can shoot the weapon with a stock. Permattached faux can for the win.)

Will soon have all the major parts together. Mario at POHF doesn't know this yet... but this is coming his way ;)
Piece of History Firearms | Tucson Gunsmith Firearms AK47

Part 2 of this tale will have pics of the underfolder stock and the faux can when I take receipt of it.
Part 3 The "Build"
Part 3.5 ?????
Part 4 Profit!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Can't wait to see all four parts of this.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
hell I should have just asked here.

How do you plan to attach the faux can?

I've blind pinned things in the past, but with steel extensions and steel pins. Easy peasy. I'm assuming its legal to use an aluminum pin?

·
Premium Member
7,602 Posts
Aha!!!! You found your fake can, that is great. :)

All you will need now is a nice forend system from Manticore to complete it! ;)

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
There used to be problems converting these yugo pistols into rifles with the defacing of the serial number upon install of the under folder. Where is your serial number located?

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
as a side note, IIRC the underfolder doesn't deface the serial number, but it would cover it. This is only on the first generation imports with the SN at the back end of the receiver.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Aha!!!! You found your fake can, that is great. :)

All you will need now is a nice forend system from Manticore to complete it! ;)
I like the way you think :cool:

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I've blind pinned things in the past, but with steel extensions and steel pins. Easy peasy. I'm assuming its legal to use an aluminum pin?
I'm leaving the permattaching to the professionals. I'll ask him how he's doing it when I get a chance.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

From an expert:

You can screw the can on, drill through the can and partially into the gas block, drop a steel pin in ( you can even us the drill bit shank), then have some hit the hole with a TIG welder.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
the only thing Im not sure about is how you can weld a steel pin to an aluminum faux can. Way different melting points.

·
Registered
250 Posts
^^^ the different melting points has nothing to do with not welding aluminum to steel. The reason you can't is the fact the aluminum doesn't have an iron content.

·
Premium Member
7,602 Posts
the only thing Im not sure about is how you can weld a steel pin to an aluminum faux can. Way different melting points.
You can't weld aluminum to steel. You drill the hole throught he fake can partially into the barrel, insert the steel pin to lock the two together so the fake can can't unthread, and then weld a blob of aluminum over the pin so it can't be removed, thus locking the fake can permanently onto the barrel giving you your 16" permanent barrel length with fake can attached.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
PART 2 (The Faux Suppressor Arrives)

The Faux Zastava suppressor from Ctrax has arrived.

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/35...08-wts-zastava-faux-silencer.html#post1543277

Came well padded in a mailing box. It has a little heft to it. Don't have a small scale handy.

Rear Threads:

Side View:

Front of faux can:

One of the notches wasn't quite complete. Not sure if I will try and clean it up with a file.

Do you think I should spring for "Yugo" selector markings? I.E. "U,R,J"? I think it would look cool.... But not sure if it's really authentic, or accurate. It's hard to tell what selector markings are on the M92 at the Zastava site -
http://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/militaryproduct/assault-rifle-m21
And there is no M85 on the site at all. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I will say that the thread makes the job look easy. Those conversions are such a PITA, in my measure-twice-cut-three-times opinion :cool:

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
PART 3 (OFF TO POHF AND ACCESSORIZING)

The weapon, faux can, and buttstock have been sent off to Piece of History Firearms for masterpiecing. (Is that a word? It is now.)
Piece of History Firearms | Tucson Gunsmith Firearms AK47

And while we wait the accessorizing has begun.

Velocity Firearms has some harder to find "Yugoslavian" accessories.

AK 47 Accessories :: Velocity Firearms - Superb Products

I ordered the Zastava 223 cleaning kit, oiler, and a cleaning rod. Also got the Yugo M85/M92 blank firing device... something I haven't seen anywhere else.

I also got the new or like new sling.

Hard to find those in this condition.

This is the first time I've ordered from Velocity Firearms. I had a question on an item before I ordered and they answered my email within a few hours. Items came neatly and well packaged, and as described. Place my order on Thursday 23 JAN, and I received the items today, Monday 27 JAN.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts